Anubia propagation

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Myrkk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My anubia has grown huge, it's around 10" now and seems to be related to triffids. I love the roots that hang down and the oldest roots have a green fuzz growing on them. However, realistically it is getting too big for the tank and the leaves are now growing out of the top of the water. If I just chop the end off will it kill it? How do you trim or propagate this plant? My smaller anubias seem to have had a growth spurt too but they have stayed more compact.

Anubias will continue to grow via vegetative reproduction. As Crispii said, you can cut the rhizome and then have two plants. Just make sure there are several nodes on each piece of rhizome. The nodes are the places from which the leaves grow individually. Several years ago I had Anubias in my 90g tank that when I took it out and cut it up for individual plants, the rhizome was 24 inches (60 cm) in length.

They actually grow a little quicker after being cut (only the first few weeks). If you want to propogate them split fairly frequently and you will end up with lots of small plants within a few months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back