Anubia Barteri

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a 60cm (plus) tall A. Barteri in my tank. Some of the leaves are over 3 years old and are heavily covered by algae. I have, on numerous occasions, removed as much algae as possible using a toothbrush. Unfortunately this doesn't last too long and the remaining algae soon takes a firm grip again.
After struggling against algae for years I have finally got to the point whereby the tank is virtually algae free, with the only remaining problem being a fast growing green film on the surface of the water and very slow growing hair algae which I do not see as a problem).
What I want to do is remove the anubia from the tank for a week or two and grow it emersed. This way the algae should completely dry up and die off. I can then clean the leaves and replant it in the tank.

My question is simple. Is this advisable? How will the plant react to this?

WK

I'm under the impression that anubia species are in fact terrestrial plants that can ALSO grow aquatically. That's basically my question; are they?

WK

They are - but cleaning the plants will not solve the problem, the algae could re-appear within days of putting the plant(s) back into the aquarium. Could you tell us more about the aquarium? Light levels (watts), how long they are on for, do you use CO2, what fertilisers do you add and what is your water change frequuency and amount? Does the tank get any natural sunlight?

I could but to be honest it doesn't make much difference. I know that sounds silly but let me explain. The amount of algae growth I get is minimal. The algae left on the leaves is also minimal. In fact I may have been misleading. The marks on the leaves could well be dead algae or stains where algae once was. I am after a way of removing these remnants of algae. Once clean I do not envisage much of a problem.

Physically cleaning the plant with a toothbrush has caused torn leaves in the past so I want to avoid that method if possible. That's the reason why I'm thinking of removing the plant from the aquarium totally for a short time. It might only need a day!

I might take advantage of an upcoming redecoration to clean the plants this way.

My actual lighting/CO2 regime is bonkers! But...it works for me. Very trial and error!

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday I give 7 hours of 1wpg, no CO2.
Wednesday and Friday it gets 1 wpg for 3 hours and 2wpg for 4 hours, CO2 for the higher light period.
Saturday gets 8 hours of 1wpg, no CO2.
Sunday gets 8hours 2wpg, CO2 included.
This time of year the tank gets no direct sunlight.
I can leave the tank 3 weeks before I have to clean the front glass.

The majority of plants are low light although my E. Tellenus would be dead without the extra light. I add Flourish once a week and do weekly 35% water changes. My NO3 is undetectable even though I have a highly stocked tank (my sig is out of date). PO4 comes from my tap water. I get strong pearling on the Saturday afternoon and my vallis is becoming weed-like in its growth.

I really don't have an algae problem, I was just after a way of giving my plants a gently yet thorough clean.

WK

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back