Anti bacterial treatment

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
OK so I've been pretty busy lately andrecently had noticed I hadn't cleaned the aquarium for four weeks, it only has moss balls in it, however, I saw signs of a coating of gery or dark grey mould on it and cleaned it all out two weeks ago, however obviously cannot clean within the moss balls themselves so they held the either mould or fungous whatever it is. Can this product clean that or is it designed to help the fish directly?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FH2K2GM/?tag=

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There is another thread started here similar to your question about using something to kill algae if it will also kill moss balls. Don't use meds at this time. Just clean the tank really good and do water changes more often. You can take the moss balls out of your tank and gently squeeze them in tank water that has been drained into a bucket. Do this for awhile and see if it helps, if not then consider more drastic measures.

In any case get this cleared up before adding fish.

Never add antibiotics to an aquarium unless the antibiotic is necessary to deal with a specific bacterial issue involving the fish. Over-use of antibiotics in a fish tank can lead to all sorts of issues, all of them detrimental.

Algae is natural, and therefore needs to be controlled naturally by dealing with the light and nutrients in the tank. Moss balls are a species of algae to begin with.

OK well as per title of thread, I am making reference to bacterial problems not algae.

I presume its bacterial, I may be wrong. I just wanted to know if there were anti bacterial products that might be of use. There are no fish in the aquarium, just moss balls.

OK well as per title of thread, I am making reference to bacterial problems not algae.

I presume its bacterial, I may be wrong. I just wanted to know if there were anti bacterial products that might be of use. There are no fish in the aquarium, just moss balls.
Yes of course, but it is just the same basic question of adding chemicals when dealing with bacteria or algae. Chemicals should not be used until all other avenues for solving the problem have been exhausted. You talked about not maintaining the tank for four weeks, even in a fishless tank some maintenance should be done, especially when a problem arises.

My suggestion is to do a deep cleaning and keep it clean for awhile and watch to see if this works.

Since the product in question is sold in the UK, it can't contain antibiotics. But I still wouldn't use it.

Any chance of pictures of the problem so we can at least try to identify it before you spend money on things that may or may not work?

As a general rule, plants don't normally get bacterial infections and if they do, you prune the infected area off.

Anti-biotics only treat bacterial infections and do not work on fungus, protozoa, algae or anything else. Commonly sold anti-biotics used to treat people, animals or fish will not work on plants.

Anti-fungal treatments only treat fungus and do not treat bacteria, algae or anything else.

Algicides kill all plants and do nothing to bacteria, fungus or protozoa.

We need to find out what the problem is and then work out a way to treat it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back