Anthing special I should know

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hmmm
guessi got screwed on the shrimp. Anyway
I'll try feeding them witht hat tomorrow.

How would I go about doing this though. It just looks like a big pack of frozen jelly. Do i have to cut it and then let it unfreeze or anything?

There are no instructions on the package

I would let it warm up and then cut as much as your fish will eat relatively quickly to keep pollution to a minnimum. You can actualy crush a little up and try feeding it to them that way, if they eat it all, you can give them a little more. I wouldn't put the whole thing in and make sure not to over-feed.

I came home from a concert tongiht to see the pearl gourami laying on the bottom of the tank... no life left in him :(

I hope the Blue gourami won't do the same thing as he won't eat either :(

My 8 guppies seem fine though and ammonia is at 0

I did notice this though on the pearl gourami:

his 2 "gils" i guess, the large wires that hang below is mouth, seemed broken. One was bent at some point, the other seemed split in half. I guess that had something to do with it...

update

oops, i just tested ammonia and it went up a bit, maybe at 0.5. it was good a few hours ago though

My other gourami died this morning :(
no more gouramis for me

Is your tank not cycled? Have you tested nitrites? If there are rises in ammonia or nitrite this could have caused your fish's deaths. This could be caused by an uncycled tank, overfeeding or too many new fish at once (in a cycled tank the two new gouramies should not have caused any big problems) I can't explain the gill thing unless it was caused after he died from the other fish nibbling on him or if he was attacked though I doubt it in this case. BTW, you didn't have the fish for long so whatever killed them may also have come from the LFS or was brought on by a rapid change in environment.

[/QUOTE]no more gouramis for me
Are you saying you won't give gouramies another try?

Just make sure the tank is fully cycled and there are no ammonia or nitrites before you introduce it and I would suggest getting a single blue gourami this time as they are hardier than pearls and only one so as to lessen the load on your tank. That is only until you are certain the conditions are 100% stable.

Hi yvez9

I think sylvia and I must have had the same thought at the same time. :D While she was posting, I was reading your posts on the threads in the beginners forum. It seems that you don't have a cycled tank, and need to learn more about this process before you lose more of your fish. For starters, please read this article so that we will know we are talking about the same thing:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=10099

Since you need to cycle with fish, that is important, but please read the whole thing so you understand the process your tank will be going through. Then ask all the questions you need to.

Also, I noticed someone recommended a python to you for cleaning your tank. Since you just have one tank, you don't need anything that expensive. A simple gravel vac will do fine. Here's what I mean:

http://www.petmeister.com/item879.htm

It cleans by the suction caused by gravity, and we will tell you how to use it if you don't know. :D

Thanks for the info

I thought my tank was cycled but I'm not sure anymore, i can't really trust the LFS people on this, now i know!

As for giving gouramis another try, I sure will. Me and my girlfriend love the way they look! I'll just wait a few weeks before putting a new one in there though. I don't want to bring them on the verge of extinction by killing them all :p

I'll keep focus on my guppies for now and see what happens with them.

I also got the gravel cleaner and two bucket to do water changes. I prepared water for tomorrow in one of them so I'll be ready to clean my tank tomorrow and put in new water!

Thanks for all your help guys and girls! It's very appreciated

I'm so happy you haven't given up on them :) Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back