Another sick fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lamie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just when I thought I had solved the problem of the sick fish I have noticed a platy that is sick. I think she will die like the other ones. I'm not sure what to do?

I can't find the thread about what I should do when there is a sick fish? I'll do a 50 water change now

I’m just getting back into fish and am a total newb here but have you tested your water levels for ammonia, pH, nitrite/nitrate, hardness etc?

pictures and information about the tank and fish?
I used some water from the small 20l tank for the big 70l tank and the filter in( for 2 weeks.) It wasn't long ago that I had the same problem and I didn't do the daily 75%0water changes. Now I have the same.I have danios and platys. I've just done a 75% water change so can't say what the levels were.

I have soft water I added lime chip for the platys, I use prime water conditioner and flourish for the plants. I have been changing 50% water every two weeks. I have 6 platies and maybe 9 glolight danios and 1 giant danio. I have last week surrender the baby platies and 3 giant danios and 1 sick GLO light to the fish farm.

The one I think is sick is swimming by her/his self at the back in the photo

Attachments

• IMG20220123135913.jpg
    IMG20220123135913.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG20220123135844.jpg
    IMG20220123135844.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG20220123135834.jpg
    IMG20220123135834.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 46
The only thing I can see on anything is in the following picture where the fish looks a bit skinny. This can be worms, gills flukes or something else. But it doesn't appear to have an external diseases.

If you can test the aquarium water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH it would help rule those out as the possible cause.

If you aren't sure what the problem is, just do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week, or until the problem is identified. The water changes dilute nutrients like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, making the tank safer for the fish. It also dilutes disease organisms in the water so there are fewer to infect the fish.

The only thing I can see on anything is in the following picture where the fish looks a bit skinny. This can be worms, gills flukes or something else. But it doesn't appear to have an external diseases.

If you can test the aquarium water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH it would help rule those out as the possible cause.

If you aren't sure what the problem is, just do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week, or until the problem is identified. The water changes dilute nutrients like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, making the tank safer for the fish. It also dilutes disease organisms in the water so there are fewer to infect the fish.
Thank you.

I have some treatment for flukes and worms . praziquantel. When would I need to use it last time I used it it didn't do anything. Are these common parasites to have? I'll do out a big water change tomorrow

Praziquantel only treats tapeworm. If it didn't help last time the fish probably have thread/ round worms and you need Levamisole or Flubendazole for that.

Thread/ round worms are very common in platies, swordtails, guppies and mollies from Asia.

Praziquantel only treats tapeworm. If it didn't help last time the fish probably have thread/ round worms and you need Levamisole or Flubendazole for that.

Thread/ round worms are very common in platies, swordtails, guppies and mollies from Asia.
Hi, I have put some levamisole in but there is no improvement.in the platy. How will it improve?

How do you know which worm you have?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back