Another Request For Pleco Id

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VeryFatbloke

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought this pleco recently, on impulse rather stupidly, he was sold to me as a Leopard Pleco but I can't find a Leopard Pleco on Planet Catfish.

Can anybody ID him for me?

Thanks
Gary

Attachments

• Sid.JPG
    Sid.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 60
L001.

seem to me the currect most 'common' plec at the local stores :)
nice alternative and smaller too (8-10")

I've read elsewhere that because L001s are the same family as glyptopericthys gibbiceps (sailfin or gibby), which can grow to 18-24", they should be expected to exceed the 8-10". I'm not sure how accurate that information is, but it makes sense. :good:

I've read elsewhere that because L001s are the same family as glyptopericthys gibbiceps (sailfin or gibby), which can grow to 18-24", they should be expected to exceed the 8-10". I'm not sure how accurate that information is, but it makes sense. :good:

same family dosnt necasserily mean same size...

We've got 5 G. punctatus, Although not fully grown I can say that they grow a LOT slower than Gibbys.

I've also seen adult Rhinos (G. scrophus) and they dont touch 12"

however - I've not owned or seen an adult L001 yet to make a truley informed statement :)

The L001 does indeed have a high growth rate though. My sister bought one as a baby and it was over 6 inches within a matter of 2-3 months. I've seen a couple online that have exceeded 8-10". I did put a disclaimer on my post though :hey:

What I have noticed with these is that they are quite bolshy compared to gibbies too.

I've had my two L001 for about ten months one is just short of about 9 ½ inches the other a little over 8 inches, I’d say they grew fairly quickly in the first six months but there after the growth was not as noticeable. Bolshy is a good description especially when they think the tank needs rearranging.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back