Another Plec Dead,shown In Pics

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

gh74

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I noticed lastnight that the plec in my other tank lido 200 was dead so i have added pics of it as a few ones asked me before when the other one died for pics but it was to late for pics,when i lifted the plec out of the tank there was a stinking smell coming from it

Water Parameters are

PH 7.6
HR 7.4
AMMONIA 0
NITRITESĀ  0
NITRATEĀ Ā Ā  10

TEMP 26
Tank mates were guppies,swordtails bleeding heart tetra's,mollies,platys, not alot of fish in it really
Ā 

Ā 

Cheers Graham

Hard to tell as it looks like it has been dead a while. Plec deaths in my experience is either they have got trapped somewhere, under wood etc, or they are not eating. Its stomach on the first pic does look concave so I would suspect its not eaten for some reason. Do you feed the plecs at night or with the other fish? do you have wood in the tank for them to rasp on. How long have you had the plec and was it quarantined before adding it to the main tank?

It probably smells because it looks like it's already starting to decay - must have been dead for at least a few days? I can't even tell what sort of 'plec' it is! But if you've lost more than one of the same species, you should probably try a different supplier. I'd suggest a 50% water change and hold fire on adding any new fish for a few weeks though, keep an eye on your existing stock and make sure there is no infection that is going to start taking out the rest of your fish. All the questions raised above are valid. People often think plecs just clear up the mess but they need pellets, and vegetables (marrow/courgette/cucumber/peppers) on a regular basis.

I've had poor luck keeping plecos in high PH hard water. They have done much better for me with soft water.

The plec was alive yesterday morning,i fed them when the others were getting fed and yeah there is plenty of wood in the tank and it couldnt of got trapped.

gh74 said:
I noticed lastnight that the plec in my other tank lido 200 was dead so i have added pics of it as a few ones asked me before when the other one died for pics but it was to late for pics,when i lifted the plec out of the tank there was a stinking smell coming from it

Water Parameters are

PH 7.6
HR 7.4
AMMONIA 0
NITRITESĀ  0
NITRATEĀ Ā Ā  10

TEMP 26
Tank mates were guppies,swordtails bleeding heart tetra's,mollies,platys, not alot of fish in it really
Ā 
How many of each of these midwater fish are in this ~70x65x51cm tank?
Ā 
Which plec species did you have?
Ā 
What food were you giving this catfish?
Ā 
Were you regularly seeing this catfish actively eat the food you added?

There was only one plec in the lido 200 tank and yes i watched him eating at the wafers.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back