Another newbie!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Here's my chance to show up the boss.lol
tetras are characins. lol I've never heard of a red bellied tetra.
Freshwater tropicals are generaly broken into the following : cyprinds ~barbs and rasboras
Characins~ tetras,danios and piranah etc
cichlids~ Angels, rams,kribs etc(Checker boards. for Mac)lol
anabantoids~ siamese fighters gouramis etc
livebeares~ Mollies, guppies platties, sword etc,
killifishes~ basicly just killifish. (american flagfish, steel-blue aohyoseion and a few others)
Catfish ~ Cory's, Plecs, catfish
Loaches~ coolie/khuli, botia,chain
then you get rainbow fish, spiny eels and mono fish/Malayan angelfish.

Hi all,

Ok I have just testes for ammonia, PH, nitrate and Nitrite and the results are as follows:-

Ammonia ------------------- 0.3

PH ------------------------- 7.5

Nitrate --------------------- 20

Nitrite ---------------------- 0.5

and my water temperature is 25 Celsius

Is that ok or not????

everything looks good except for the Ammonina and NitrItes. You should read 0 with both of those. Not quite sure why your seeing Ammonia, NitrItes and NitrAtes at the same time unless you have over feed or there's a dead fish somewhere in the tank. Rose

Hi all,

Today is the big day,

I got my LFS to test my water and everything was kosher (I must have made a boo-boo before), so I bought 1 Siamese Fighting fish and 5 neon tetra's.

The bloke in the lfs said to come back in 5 days and retest the water, and if all ok get a few more fish then.

Meanwhile, though, the neons seem to be exploring their new environment and just chillin' and the fighting fish is occassionally 'resting' behind my plastic plants, zooming round the tank or examing the top of the water (Is that normal?)

Also, the bloke in lfs hasn't fed them today so should I feed them?

And lastly, after having purchased an enclyclopedia of tropical fish I have taken a shine to the following:-

1.  Snakeskin Guppy

2.  Flying Fox

3.  Red-tailed black shark

4.  Dainty

5.  Threadfin Rainbow fish

6.  Bumblebee Goby

7.  Cape Lopez Lyretail

8.  Indian Glassfish

Are these lot compatible with each other and with what I already have?

p.s.  I have 3 plastic plants and gravel - do I need more hiding places/decorations?

Thanks

The "fighting fish" is probably just "taking a breath of fresh air" when you see it going to the surface. They will do this from time to time.

The glass fish, rainbow and guppies would be compatible.
Here is my take on the rest:

Flying Fox - probably
red tail black shark - IMO no can become aggressive
Dainty - not familiar with this fish
Bumblebee goby - Lets see if I have the right species: Brachygobius doriae if this is the bumblebee goby then it should be alright due to it's small size, but it will eat fry so precautions are necessary.
Cape Lopez lyretail - not familiar with this fish

HTH

Ok thanks for clearing this up. Always appreciate learning bout new species.

The cape Lopez lyretail being a Killie is best kept in a species only tank IMO

The dainty or  Cory cat would be well suited for your tank, but you should have more than one as cories do best in groups. You can keep several species of cories to make up the group so you have a bit of variety.

Please keep in mind that tropicals are not my specialty. Just giving you my thoughts on what little I know about the species you listed. I am sure other members who are better schooled in these fish can and will give you more guidance

As for feeding your fish, I would wait until morning to give them a good chance to settle in.

yes fish sleep
dont know how though, just read it! This is apparantly the reason you should turn off the light at night

if the fish dont move in the water but you se there pec' fins moving chances are there having a snooze.

You could give the fish a little food though. best to feed them a small amount.
As for your choise of fish the only one I can see causing probs would be the Red-tailed black shark. can get quite aggressive, the flying fox should be ok as long as he's a place to hide away from the rest of the rabble. lol he'll chas the odd one or two that get close but thats about it. I've a few of them and had no trouble with them.
I'm not to sure about the thread fin rainbow though, rainbows are prone to getting TB, usualy the Australian ones.
The rest should be ok.

Addy, Didn't know rainbows were prone to TB. I have raised rainbows off and on for the last 5-6 years and had no health problems with them at all.

Good to know though...

Didn't mean to suggest that the Killie would'nt do ok in with the rest of the choices, just feel it's best if their kept with their own kind. I know a few Killie keepers and this was always their advice.

was researching something a while back for the old board and came across a site(australian) that was going on about it.
it's still quite rare for fish to get it but the Oz rainbows seem to be the ones that get it easiest. Maybe Anna can clarify just how common/rare it is in other species of rainbows. We were on about it in another thread.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back