Another lighting question...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi! So, I just asked about a light for my 10 gallon tank, but now I'm getting a 20 gallon high and I wanted to know what light would be best. I know @Byron knows a lot about lights. Could you help me?

Do you want live plants in the tank?
If yes, what plants do you want? Some need more light than others.

Agree. My 20g has one of the older-type incandescent hoods (takes two screw-in bulbs) so I use the CFL spiral bulbs. GE make them in 6500K and 5000K, I prefer the 6500K. These come in different wattages, and because the bulbs are identical in spectrum and manufacture, here you can use wattage as an indication of intensity. Over my 20g I have two 9w CFL 6500K bulbs. They also come in 13w which would obviously be a bit brighter. For my purposes, the 9w are very adequate.

If you have or can find a fluorescent T8 fixture, a Life-Glo 6500K or Zoomed UltraSun 6500K would work.

Then there is LED which is great if you know what you are getting and it is suited to plants. Much of the LED is not, I've sent back five fixtures and given up as the good LED is very expensive. But, if you can get what works, it will be ideal.

There will be anubias, anacharis and maybe some valicineria. I have a T8 flourecent lighting fixture, so basically I just need to know what light will best suit the tank size and the plants. I'm clueless when it comes to things like this so thank you for your replies!

There will be anubias, anacharis and maybe some valicineria. I have a T8 flourecent lighting fixture, so basically I just need to know what light will best suit the tank size and the plants. I'm clueless when it comes to things like this so thank you for your replies!

This is easy. First, measure the tube that fits this fixture. I suspect it will be 18 inches, though it might be 24 inches but that would be full tank length and this is not usual in the smaller tank fixtures. There is also a 15-inch tube. Yours will be one of these three.

Once you know the tube length, I recommend the Life-Glo 6500K tube. It is without question the best light for a single tube over smaller tanks as it has more intensity than other tubes and it is good spectrum. So look for the T8 Life-Glo in the length you need.

As I said previously, the ZooMed UltraSun 6500K is another good tube, though having used both I find the Life-Glo a tad better.

It needs replacing every 12 months; it will still light but the intensity has weakened so much by then that the plants will be struggling and algae can take advantage.

Thank you! Can I find the life glo at petco or do I have to order it online?

Thank you! Can I find the life glo at petco or do I have to order it online?

I don't have Petco where I live (Canada). The Life-Glo tubes are available online and most fish stores here carry them. Just make sure of the length and it is T8.

Ok. Thanks for your help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back