Another cycle question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nashnutny

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
-_- I have a 2 1/2 gallon mini bow that I was changing every ten days. I changed the tank last Sunday and discovered yesterday a cloudy tank with a huge nitrite level. The amonia level was quite low and had been before the water change. I removed the fish to another tank - bettas - and added a couple drops of pure amonia. The amonia level is still very low. The tank has been running a couple of months now and has gravel, a small filter and fake plants in it. Any suggestions? I would think it's in the middle of cycling from what I've read.
Thanks

Ok, so you took the fish to an alternate home for the moment and want to continue the cycle by adding ammonia? If so, that'll work. Please post exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to give us a better idea exactly where you are in the cycle, then we can further advise you from there.

Regarding your bettas, plural? You should only keep one betta in a small tank, they ain't called fighting fish for nothing. Unless you have a divider or something like that.

;) Actually this pair seems to tolerate each other quite well. One flares every now and then but is completely ignored by the spade tail who just explores and explores. He rarely flares.

The divider has silk plants lining both sides so that there's not much of an area where the two can actually see each other.

The readings are:

Amonia .25 to .50
Nitrite is well over 5.0

I appreciate the help!!

Most reactions

Back