Another bizarre U.K. tank on eBay…(btw it’s not mine mods).

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
For a hundred quid that would be really cool. Think of the history that is associated with this. 150 years ago only the very rich could have afforded it so it my have belonged to a Queen, President, or oil magnate.

Did they have oil magnates 150 years ago? Coal magnate perhaps :)

That was in the US where they had oil in their own country. Until North Sea oil was discovered, the UK imported it all. However coal was plentiful here in the 1800s. I have many coal miners in my extended family tree, as does my husband, but no-one working in the oil industry. And since the fish tank was probably made and owned here........

That was in the US where they had oil in their own country. Until North Sea oil was discovered, the UK imported it all. However coal was plentiful here in the 1800s. I have many coal miners in my extended family tree, as does my husband, but no-one working in the oil industry. And since the fish tank was probably made and owned here........
I think you are confused with how export/import business worked in those days Essjay
Step 1: Start oil company in London
Step 2: make your case to crown of importance of oil
Step 3: Wait for crown to import Saudi Arabia into your own country
Step 4: start drilling in your own country
He he. So it could have been local British oil magnate after all

My family history research suggests that in northern England and south Wales, the predominant 'fuel' industry was coal mining in Victorian times. This was before the coal industry was nationalised and someone owned all those mines.
Oil may have been important elsewhere but I have not come across anyone involved in the oil industry in my extended family trees.

My family history research suggests that in northern England and south Wales, the predominant 'fuel' industry was coal mining in Victorian times. This was before the coal industry was nationalised and someone owned all those mines.
Oil may have been important elsewhere but I have not come across anyone involved in the oil industry in my extended family trees.
I was just joking lol

My original comment was a throw away comment that was meant to be funny, I didn't think it was going to lead to any sort of historical discussion on who did what when.

You should know by now that on this forum topics often end up discussing things totally unrelated to the first post, and throwaway comments can end up dominating a thread ;)

I think you are confused with how export/import business worked in those days Essjay
Step 1: Start oil company in London
Step 2: make your case to crown of importance of oil
Step 3: Wait for crown to import Saudi Arabia into your own country
Step 4: start drilling in your own country
He he. So it could have been local British oil magnate after all
Aaah! You mean The Empire perchance?

Forget that one.
For #3 in an occasional series just search “bamboo fish tank”. A 1970s contender from France. Au Revoir my petite poissons.

You'll have to give us the link. All I can find is bamboo decor and cylindrical betta tanks with bamboo lids.........

Now I've found it! I like the fish they put in it. If that was a real fish.........

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back