Anole mix up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Wizard Lizard

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So yesterday I got my first lizards in the form of anoles! I got green 2 anoles. or so I thought. I saw a really pretty striped one and got her. later realized she is prob a brown anole. their care and diet ect seems to fit well together but I've read that brownies can get pretty dominant and are larger/stockier than greenies (as of now my green anole is bigger). so far I've often seen them stick pretty close together withy no aggression or dominance that I've seen. if I see any aggression brownie is going. but I also know that anoles are social. assuming there's no aggression/dominance/outcompeting can I keep the 2 together happily? as of now my plan is to keep the two for a while and watch behavior carefully. any tips, ideas, advice, ect? I don't know what to do. returning the brownie is an option and not a problem but I'd like to explore options first.

20201227_191535.jpg

You are correct, brown anoles tend to outcompete green anoles. But, if the enclosure is sufficiently large, with lots of basking and hiding spots, plenty of prey items, etc, they might be OK together. I would keep a close watch on their behavior though, and be ready to separate if needed.

So my situation just changed, both are males and theres been dominance displays, I wanted female anoles, prob going to return both, but I've had an idea that might be a strech, what if I switched my male green anole with a female, I'd get the cool/pretty social behavior and dominance would turn to mating displays and any breeding prob wouldn't amount to anything. If the 2 can socialize and not be lonely then it theoretically could work, but these are also my first lizards so idk. I wanna get thoughts and explore all ideas before I do anything.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back