Anodized Aluminum In Water? Heat Sink?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CBBP

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys. Was just curious as to how fast Anodized Aluminum would corrode in fresh water. I was thinking of making a heat sink for my gold fish tank with hopes of one day having a cheap AC blowing though it.

you have tried other metals then? or no?

I know its not exactly the same environment,but,I had an anodized tongue stud once,and the colour vanished after a few months :S So I personally wouldnt trust it in a tank

Aluminium corodes in cooling systems that use specific chemicals to reduce corrosion, like vehicle radiators. I suggest that in aquarium water it would begin corroding very quickly. Matter of days or weeks.

it will not hold up. When plants grow the PH can drop (most common) or increase. A ph drop occurs when plant growth releases chlorine and sulfides in the water which turns into a acid. CO2 injection systems used on some aquariums will also create carbonic acid. In my experience with anodized aluminum it will not hold up to acidic water. You are better off using 316 stainless steel. or ceramic.

I would get a solid rod of stainless steel and attach it to a tea sink and attach the heat sink to the lid of the aquarium so that the extends well below the water surface. Then I would attach you AC to the heat sink on the top of the aquarium

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back