Annoying Limpet Like Creatures Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gourami123

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
lately i have noticed many small creatures that are covering the gravel and plants and are completely stuck to the object,
they dont look like there is anything living in the shell, they just look like half a transparent rock in a limpet like shape
they are now becoming a real pest
anyone get any ideas what they are or how to get rid of them (anything that will eat them etc.)?

Be patient, its very early in the morning :)

Take a look at this:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277805-hitchhikers-in-freshwater-tanks-ponds/

had a look on that page but there doesnt seem to be anything like them on there

CCould you try take a picture? I realise it may be a little tough if they're tiny but using the macro setting on your camera you might be able to get them? A picture would help greatly :good:

I have them. I didnt realize it for a long time because I thought they were eggs or water spots on the outside of the glass. They are super super tiny, white-clear, usually transparent at the edge and opaque in the middle, and if you watch very closely you can see that they are moving. I have no pictures, but I will get some. Mine were kind of annoying for a while but i think they are dying off.

I sure hope somebody gets some photos ...
blink.gif

Are they those "seed shrimp" things that someone on here was talking about before? The person(can't remember who) had an impossible time trying to get rid of them.

I have them. I didnt realize it for a long time because I thought they were eggs or water spots on the outside of the glass. They are super super tiny, white-clear, usually transparent at the edge and opaque in the middle, and if you watch very closely you can see that they are moving. I have no pictures, but I will get some. Mine were kind of annoying for a while but i think they are dying off.

I don't think so. That thread linked earlier had pictures of seed shrimp and I don't think they are the same.
Hi Fyurae: I have those same limpet-like things in my tropical freshwater tank. They are identical to your description. How did they appear? I think they come in on plants that we buy. I'm in the UK and you are in the USA - hardly a common water-born creature - so it has to be foreign plants. I don't see as many as I saw a few days ago. I think they are going to turn out to be harmless and they may even be beneficial; what do you think?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back