angels gender

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

IKeepAngels

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
how do i know if an angel is a boy/ girl? i can't exactly wait until they breed because my tank doesn't have the right stuff in it to make breeding possible. can i tell through body features? i want to know the genders of both my adult and juvenile (1 1/2 inches from nose to base of tail)

You can only sex mature angelfish and cannot tell the different sexes of young fish. Adult males that are well fed, are slightly bigger than females and have a rounded forehead caused by a build up of fatty tissue. In malnourished males it won't be as noticeable.

Females don't have the rounded forehead and are usually fatter. If you can post pictures of the fish we might be able to give you an idea about their sexes.

As for not having the right things in your tank for breeding fish, if the tank is clean and the fish are well fed, they will breed anywhere.

Angelfish are difficult to sex except when spawning; the male genital papilla (breeding tube) is more slender than the female. Otherwise, the more aggressive behaviour of males will usually be suggestive. Their interactive behaviours may be indicative.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back