angels fighting

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

IKeepAngels

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok. i know that this is a common behavior done almost always by probably all angels. although just this afternoon, i saw my adult veil angelfish (gender unknown) and my juvenile veil angel (1 1/2 inches from nose to base of tail, gender unknown) lip locking. i was worried that they might bust each other's lips or that the little one dies but i want to know, what can i do? do i leave them alone? i've had the bigger angel in my 50g tank for about 6 months now. i got the juvenile on the day before new year. i'm assuming it's just dominance battles since they were "puffing up" on each other. they were doing the common angel fighting behavior (i got this info from online) such as puffing up their fins, facing each other, lip locking,and nipping on the sides, light chasing (they eventually go back fighting)

Lip locking is common in cichlids and is how they test prospective mates. They lip lock and push each other around. If they are both strong and healthy then they might pair up and breed, but if one is noticeably weaker than the other, they don't usually make a pr.

Monitor them and if one gets physically injured and is hiding in a corner, then take it out, otherwise leave them alone.

Agree, you need to keep a close eye. This is what happens when a lone angelfish is in a tank, and another angelfish is added down the road. Unless you are extremely lucky and they are male/female and bond, trouble is inevitable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back