Angelfish white film on eye

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Wow! That is a difference. I'm glad you decided to go the water change route. You don't have to follow my advice, but I gave up on meds for fish years ago when I found the importance of water changes and how beneficial it is for the fish health.

Wow! That is a difference. I'm glad you decided to go the water change route. You don't have to follow my advice, but I gave up on meds for fish years ago when I found the importance of water changes and how beneficial it is for the fish health.
Some of the best advice I ever received! Never seen such a quick change in health from medication. Thank you again! Keep you guys posted.

Update on Moby(The Angelfish) his one eye seems almost completely healed but his other is little bit slower healing. He also has this odd slime off the bottom of one of his strands. Once again Iā€™ve been doing daily water changes, no meds. Any other suggestions or just keep doing what Iā€™m doing? He just began eating today.

Attachments

• 88928CD8-7281-4FFB-B78B-D1DA68091E46.jpeg
    88928CD8-7281-4FFB-B78B-D1DA68091E46.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 42
The fish is covered in excess mucous caused by something in the water irritating the fish.

Have you been doing big daily water changes?
If not, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for at least one week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Update on Moby(The Angelfish) his one eye seems almost completely healed but his other is little bit slower healing. He also has this odd slime off the bottom of one of his strands. Once again Iā€™ve been doing daily water changes, no meds. Any other suggestions or just keep doing what Iā€™m doing? He just began eating today.
Definitely looks better than the first picture. It won't be an overnight change but the fact he's eating is a good sign. Also as Colin_T said ^^ above, make sure there are no chlorine/ chloramines in the water before adding.

Definitely looks better than the first picture. It won't be an overnight change but the fact he's eating is a good sign. Also as Colin_T said ^^ above, make sure there are no chlorine/ chloramines in the water before adding.
Iā€™ve been doing about 50% daily and using Prime to condition the water. Iā€™m worried itā€™s not de-chlorinating the water. Iā€™ve been using the right amount but the test strip is still coming up slightly Pink indicating chlorine. Very odd.

Are you dechlorinating the water in a bucket before you add the water to the aquarium?
You might have high levels of chlorine in the tap water. Test the tap water for chlorine.

When you do a water change, fill some buckets with tap water and add enough dechlorinator to treat each bucket. Aerate the water for at least 5 (preferably 30) minutes and then add that water to the tank.

Make the water up before you drain the tank and test the chlorine level in the bucket. You can add a double dose of dechlorinator to a bucket of water and see if it gets rid of the chlorine completely. If you still get a chlorine reading, take a glass of tap water and a glass of dechlorinated water to the pet shop and see if they can test it for chlorine. If not, try a liquid chlorine test kit, they can be more accurate than the paper strips.

--------------
Only feed the fish once every couple of days.

What is the ammonia level in the tank?
Check the tap water for ammonia.
Contact the water company and find out if you have chlorine or chloramine in the tap water.

Do a 75-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day to remove uneaten food and fish waste that produces ammonia. It will drop the nutrients faster.

If there is a water quality problem (like ammonia), a huge water change should make a big difference to the fish and the fish should look better within a couple of hours of the toxins being removed from the aquarium.

Are you dechlorinating the water in a bucket before you add the water to the aquarium?
You might have high levels of chlorine in the tap water. Test the tap water for chlorine.

When you do a water change, fill some buckets with tap water and add enough dechlorinator to treat each bucket. Aerate the water for at least 5 (preferably 30) minutes and then add that water to the tank.

Make the water up before you drain the tank and test the chlorine level in the bucket. You can add a double dose of dechlorinator to a bucket of water and see if it gets rid of the chlorine completely. If you still get a chlorine reading, take a glass of tap water and a glass of dechlorinated water to the pet shop and see if they can test it for chlorine. If not, try a liquid chlorine test kit, they can be more accurate than the paper strips.

--------------
Only feed the fish once every couple of days.

What is the ammonia level in the tank?
Check the tap water for ammonia.
Contact the water company and find out if you have chlorine or chloramine in the tap water.

Do a 75-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day to remove uneaten food and fish waste that produces ammonia. It will drop the nutrients faster.

If there is a water quality problem (like ammonia), a huge water change should make a big difference to the fish and the fish should look better within a couple of hours of the toxins being removed from the aquarium.
I always de chlorinate in the bucket before I put it in the tank however I donā€™t let it aerate, Iā€™ll start doing that now. I recently switched to prime about a month ago. I would always just used stress coat plus. Iā€™m wondering if my cities water (Philadelphia) just has very chlorinated water. This tank used to be totally self sustaining before this incident that I thought was an infection but was clearly some type of ammonia spike due to the one dead fish, and adding medicine did not help. Really hoping I can finally get it back to normal and get my angels fully healed.

Also, what do you guys recommend temperature for the tank? Itā€™s only the 2 angels. I had it at 84 last week. Seemed a little high so I lowered it to 79 this week.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back