Angelfish white film on eye

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Tylercole316

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Iā€™ve had this problem for some time now and I have no idea how to get rid of it. Months ago one of my danios died and the body was never found in the tank. Im assuming my angel fish ate it. Ever since this event, my angel has gotten a white cloud on its eye on and off. I treat it, it goes away, and then it comes back again. Iā€™ve been using Polyguard which seemed to work. I currently have a 30 gallon tall with one angel fish. I thought everything was treated a purchased another angel fish today and not 4 hours later the new angel fish has the cloudy eye. I do weekly water changes. Iā€™m really at a loss and could use some help. I donā€™t want to lose my angels. Thank you!
FB51C46D-775C-47B5-82D1-23F940B2699D.jpeg

Sorry to be so blunt but that angel doesn't look healthy and I'm thinking it has to do with water conditions. Don't know about your filtration and if it's a cycled tank but I would start with a lot more frequent water changes and see if the fish's appearance and eye, improve. I would say, ease off on meds and increase the water changes.

Sorry to be so blunt but that angel doesn't look healthy and I'm thinking it has to do with water conditions. Don't know about your filtration and if it's a cycled tank but I would start with a lot more frequent water changes and see if the fish's appearance and eye, improve. I would say, ease off on meds and increase the water changes.
All good I appreciate the bluntness. I just did a water test and everything seems fine except for ammonia which was very high. I just did a 60% water change. Iā€™ve been doing very weekly 20% water changes and there was only one angel in the tank so Iā€™m not sure how it got that bad. Iā€™m starting to think when my previous angel had this problem it was still the ammonia. He had it so bad his one eye is permanently damaged now. Def gonna lay off the meds.

If your ammonia is high there might either be a problem with your filter or it is not cycled yet. Did you cycle the tank before adding fish?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You should only be adding medications if the fish have a known disease and you know what the disease is. Then treat it for that specific disease.

Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or wrong pH). The polyguard medication has stuff in it that wipes out bacteria, and this could explain why you have an ammonia reading.

If you ever get an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the levels are 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

-----------------------
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

-----------------------
I would probably remove those rocks too. At least check them and see if they have any sharp edges that could cut or injure the fish.

Right now, stop adding medications and do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for a week and hope the fish doesn't die.

If your ammonia is high there might either be a problem with your filter or it is not cycled yet. Did you cycle the tank before adding fish?
Yes it has been cycled. The tank is almost 2 years old. During treatment I had to remove the filter pad to take out the carbon for medicine. And I would leave in the second filter pad that doesnā€™t have carbon. Not sure if that had anything to do with the spike. There was always a cycled filter pad in the filter.
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You should only be adding medications if the fish have a known disease and you know what the disease is. Then treat it for that specific disease.

Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or wrong pH). The polyguard medication has stuff in it that wipes out bacteria, and this could explain why you have an ammonia reading.

If you ever get an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the levels are 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

-----------------------
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

-----------------------
I would probably remove those rocks too. At least check them and see if they have any sharp edges that could cut or injure the fish.

Right now, stop adding medications and do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for a week and hope the fish doesn't die.
Thank you very much. I currently have a penguin 150 on the tank. I am certainly done with the medication. Is there any certain way I should be cleaning the filter? Thank you.

The filter media should never be changed, just rinsed lightly occasionally In aquarium water. Forget the carbon and the meds, keep doing water changes. The fish might lose his eye but he will get better overall, keep us posted and good luck!

Filters should be cleaned about once a month. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

The filter case and impellor assembly (magnet with plastic blades in the motor) can also be washed under tap water.

If you have filter pads, you can replace them with sponge. You can buy sponges for other brands of filter and use a pair of scissors to cut them to fit. Sponges last for years and get squeezed out in a bucket of tank water and re-used.

The filter media should never be changed, just rinsed lightly occasionally In aquarium water. Forget the carbon and the meds, keep doing water changes. The fish might lose his eye but he will get better overall, keep us posted and good luck!
Thank you!

Filters should be cleaned about once a month. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

The filter case and impellor assembly (magnet with plastic blades in the motor) can also be washed under tap water.

If you have filter pads, you can replace them with sponge. You can buy sponges for other brands of filter and use a pair of scissors to cut them to fit. Sponges last for years and get squeezed out in a bucket of tank water and re-used.
Should I wait until the fish is healed or change out the media now?

Don't change the media until it falls apart. If you want to add more media in the form of a sponge, add the sponge now but keep all the old media in the filter too. Have the new sponge against some old media and the bacteria will transfer across to it quicker. In a month or two you can remove some of the old media if you like.

Things seem to be getting better. His eye is clearing up. I always use water conditioner yet my test is still coming back that there is a little bit of chlorine in the water. Could that be the problem as well?

Things seem to be getting better. His eye is clearing up. I always use water conditioner yet my test is still coming back that there is a little bit of chlorine in the water. Could that be the problem as well?
Glad to know it's getting better, water changes are the best medicine, Strange about the chlorine, what do you use? I use Prime but I always thought most of them did a good job at removing chlorine.

Glad to know it's getting better, water changes are the best medicine, Strange about the chlorine, what do you use? I use Prime but I always thought most of them did a good job at removing chlorine.
I use prime as well. Just did another water change today. Looking a little better on the chlorine. Still looks a little pink in this picture.

Attachments

• 54F0BEAC-F637-4829-A118-7836C0355CF4.jpeg
    54F0BEAC-F637-4829-A118-7836C0355CF4.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 30

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back