Angelfish suddenly has lump behind belly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Maryjaeee

Reaction score
Hello , I have 2 active breeding angelfish , the male just suddenly developed a lump behind his belly tho & is having some trouble swimming. I tried to feed peas invade of constipation but he wouldnā€™t take them from me. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated , I just lost 2 important fish to me & would hate to loose another . Thank you :)
19238890-3AB6-4717-B83A-79204D1E0DA1.jpeg
4C6B51AB-4C58-46EE-94D6-B1315B7DB4C2.jpeg

Can't tell anything from the pictures but if the fish suddenly bloated up overnight, has stopped eating and did a stringy white poop, then it has an internal infection and will probably be dead tomorrow. If this has happened, then euthanise it.

You can try the following but if the fish have an internal infection, it probably won't help.
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

If you are losing fish regularly from the same symptoms, perhaps take one to a fish vet and have them necropsy (animal autopsy) it. You might also be able to get this done at the Department of Agriculture in the Fish Health section (if there's one nearby). Dept of Ag doesn't normally charge for home aquarists but might so call them first and see if they have a Fish Health section and if they have anyone who can help you necropsy the fish.

I really hope it isnā€™t an infection! I was thinking it could be an injury from mating ? They can b pretty aggressive & they normally lay eggs.. then eat them in a few days unfortunately . No eggs this time tho, just a large lump & heā€™s staying towards the top of water
34FE1BA8-CEDC-4CF6-A73A-2FDF6D8EC3F8.jpeg

So my tank perimeters are all good. I made a mistake tho, this is my female angel fish. This morning sheā€™s just been swimming downwards. I have a plastic lid attached to the side of the tank right now for spawning & a breeding slate was supposed to be here yesterday so Iā€™m hoping that helps. Usually the pair will spawn on my heater. So I got a new heater a few months ago with a plastic case around it.. ever since then my water temp just feels colder. I have my temp set at 84 but it gets the water to about 80-81 . I had 5 discus 3 months ago & I lost 3 of them 1 by 1 & all pretty quickly. As soon as I noticed one wasnā€™t feeling well, within hours they were gone. Itā€™s been heart breaking, I tried finding my old heater but couldnā€™t. I have a separate temp gauge that reads 81 but when I touch the water it feels colder. Before when I would feel the water, it was warm. I gotta order a new heater now ..I just donā€™t want to loose another fish. I did 1 Epson salt bath just to see if there was any improvements but didnā€™t notice anything. Should I try 1 more or just wait & see if the breeding slate helps ? Thanks in advance

What are the actual symptoms?
The fish has a fat belly that developed overnight?
The fish is/ isn't eating at all or normally?

Are both angelfish doing the same thing?
What does their poop look like?

It might be worth investing in a thermometer so you know the temp of the tank because the heater might read wrong.

So I just noticed the lump randomly one day. The other angelfish is fine, all the other fish in the tank are fine. Fish is eating but I have not seen her poop at all. I tried feeding peas multiple times but wonā€™t go for the peas at all, I smoosh them alil too. Now sheā€™s been swimming almost completely vertical. Then sheā€™ll swim normal for alil then start swimming down & at the bottom of the tank
What are the actual symptoms?
The fish has a fat belly that developed overnight?
The fish is/ isn't eating at all or normally?

Are both angelfish doing the same thing?
What does their poop look like

Can you post a video of it swimming?
Upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally so the footage fills the entire screen.

I did an Epson salt bath yesterday on her when I cleaned the tank. Seems to be a little more active today but from how sheā€™s swimming, thereā€™s alil red behind the back fins. They are constantly moving meanwhile my other angelā€™s fins are completely still

I took a few videos & thought this was the best but sheā€™s cut off at the end . Sheā€™s been at the top swimming most of the day too. Hopefully the video helps

last night I noticed the poop string starting to come out but still looks the same. Hasnā€™t been eating as much either :/

Attachments

• IMG_0741.png
    IMG_0741.png
    489.8 KB · Views: 10
Possibly a swim bladder problem or air trapped in the body cavity (where the organs are). There's no cure for either. If it continues and the fish doesn't eat properly, I would euthanise it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back