Angelfish making sounds, and sexing

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Awesome! Thank you!! I had no idea that any fish vocalize until I tried to find an answer searching online. I find it all to be AMAZING! Thus far it has only been that one, at least that I've seen.

It being a male, it definitely makes sense that it's a dominance thing. The other two larger angels are also male. One just recently lost it's mate. He had been pretty docile since, but not anymore. I guess maybe his mourning period is over and now and he wants his top spot back.
I am going to rehome at least the largest male.

I have three small ones in the tank also, hoping at least a couple are female. They are still too young to tell right now. They're growing well, have more than doubled their size in the 4-5 months I've had them. Two of them are already very testy with each other, and they both hassle the other small one. For the most part, two of the big ones tend to ignore the small ones. The male that lost his mate could care less about the small ones.
It would be just my luck to end up having all males!! 🤣🤣
Absolutely it’s an alpha male thing. The neighbors at the end of our long country road are always complaining about the husband’s vocalizations 🙀🙀🙀

Thank you for your reply! I am completely fascinated by this!! I would really love to know if anyone else has ever heard a freshwater angel "vocalize", or any other species of fish for that matter?!
Sorry, I haven't been able to get the sound recorded, yet. I am working on that though. As I said, I was able to find a couple of videos on YouTube of marine Emperor Angels "vocalizing", and it is very, very similar to the sound my freshwater Angel is making. I'm not sure if it's maybe a breeding thing, or an aggression thing? It almost seems to be trying to maybe entice another in the tank? It seems to make tounds when they are close together.

***If someone could look at the pictures I posted with my original post and verify if I in fact have a female or male on my hands with that particular fish, I would really appreciate it! To me it looks like a female breeding tube, but I am far from an expert!
I read wrong re my fat catfish species Vocalizing. Upon further reading, they communicate by making squeaking sounds with their tails. Weirder yet!

I read wrong re my fat catfish species Vocalizing. Upon further reading, they communicate by making squeaking sounds with their tails. Weirder yet!

Oh that's neat! I just love all animals, and all of their individual traits and personalities. And all of the amazing things I learn on a daily basis!!

Same here! Doubt I’ll hear mine, only have the one synodontis euryptus ( sorry too lazy to check spelling).
0EF0ED7D-4A3A-476E-A5A2-41E047DFFE1B.jpeg

Most reactions

Back