Angelfish Lip Locking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nix

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello, I was just walking past my fish tank a few mins. ago and I saw my angelfish lip locking, now my question is, do you think it was a sign of agression? Or do you think they were testing each others strenght for spawning? I'm nearly positive I have a male and a female (physical traits), and the male every now and then seems to act somewhat agressive towards the female, (sometimes chases her, not often though) Also, they are I'd say "medium size" probably 3-4 inches tall, so maturity it probably coming around. What do you guys think?

Most likely. I have been doing research on there breeding habits as i am trying to breed mine. Mine are still young but from what i've read thats what they do to test there partner to pair off. Congrats! Just keep a close eye they don't hurt eachother to bad. :D

that is also what they do when they are disputing, as does any cichlid...just keep an eye out for torn fins or injuries...if none occur, then you can be sure they will be pairing off sometime down the road :thumbs:

Ok, I did a quick water change (make appearance of rain) and added a nice (but plastic) Sword Plant, thanks for the input guys, if anyone else has any idea/theory go ahead and add.

Just keep an eye on them. If it's spawning behavior then they'll get over it once they sort it out - this aggression should not be a regular thing - only at times. If it's incompatible and aggression and seems to happen all the time, it's not a good sign - even if they don't hurt each other it's added stress to the tank - something that never leads to good things.

Hey Nix! If they tend to hang out a little more together, they are pairing. If one is constantly trying to hide from the other, it is aggression. What do you have for tankmates, & what size tank?

Tolak

Its a 29gallon tank, (18 or 19 inches tall) Other tank makes include 3 red eye tetras, 2 cories (Bronz) and 2 rubber nose plecos.

As for the swimming together or ones hiding, really its sorta a mixture, they usually are swimming together and everything is fine, but now and then the male kinda darts at the female, and female was introduced after the male had been present for awhile, so I'm also thinking of doing a large scale tank rearrangment, and add some more bod wood/plants. to reset any territories and hopefully cool that down. Thats why I'm kinda confused, it could easily go either way, lol

Sounds more like pairing if they are spending a decent amount of time together. Lover's quarrels! :lol:

Tolak

Get ready for some fry nix, it could very well happen

there all signs of pairing, and mr angelfish is gonna get lucky

Just wanted to chuck in my twopennyworth to this, for people's opinions... I had 4 angels in a 200 L tank and soon identified that they seemed to have paired up at opposite ends of the tank. (curiously, after a while they changed ends.... half time maybe?)
I had noticed aggression between two (it was like watching tag wrestling) so hoiked out the pair from one end of the tank and moved them into a small tank i use for ocasional breeding or nursery functions. Before you all rant up, it's only 20L size which really isn't suitable but there's no other fish in there, and the pair spawned a couple of weeks later so can't be that bad!!!
As luck would have it, this was the day before my holiday so I chose to remove the parents.... none of the eggs hatched without their care. A while later, they spawned again and after a couple of days I noticed the eggs had vanished. I quickly found though, that they had moved them to a different area of the small tank. Again no babies, but an improvement by leaving the parents in place.
In recent times I took the other pair of angels and placed them in a similar tank and e ventually they too spawned. Based on previous experience I left the parents in, but they got hungry after 3 days and ate the eggs. At feeding time I have noticed some short term aggression but generally peaceful, but tonight half hour after their feed, i saw them lip-locking. As far as I'm awar, angels pair for life and having spawned once, they shouldn't need to establish suitability of a partner....

Any comments?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back