Angelfish In A 30 Gallon?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Goldana

Reaction score
I just got myself a new Jewel 30 gallon aquarium tonight! :nod:
Now I just have to patiently wait for it to cycle, but in the meantime I will do some planning about what fish and plants that I would like to keep. My husband already has a 48 gallon mature aquarium, so I'll steal some stuff from him to jump-start the process.
I really love Angelfish, but my husband says that they have a jerky personality. But this is my aquarium, so I get to choose what to put in it! I've read a little bit about Angelfish and I know that they are quite tall fish and that they need a rather large aquarium. I decided to 'google' "Angelfish in a 30 gallon" and some people have kept them in such a small tank. I don't want to do that if they will be miserable though. Also the advice is very contradicting. Some places say either keep them single, in a pair or in a large group (6 or more). I definitely know that 6 would be out of the question, but would it be possible to keep a single Angelfish or a pair in a 30 gallon?
If this question seems absurd, then please forgive me as I am completely new to Angelfish. That is the reason why I want to ask BEFORE planning my stock. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me!

I've done a bit of reading and assuming your tank is at least 24x12x12" an angel should be fine in your tank.

Good Luck,
AmazonFTW

80 cm length
40 cm height
35 cm depth
or
31.4 inches length
15.7 inches height
13.7 inches depth
It is 112 liters. Technically I think it is 29.5 gallons or there about.
I hope that helped! ;)

I've done a bit of reading and assuming your tank is at least 24x12x12" an angel should be fine in your tank.

Good Luck,
AmazonFTW
Okay, great! Thanks for replying. I'll wait and see if anyone else has some advice to chip in! :good:

Definately big enough, if you want, I can help you with full stocking? :hyper:

AmazonFTW

(I got the minimum size off of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBF4CfUCVpY this guy seems very knowledgeable to me)

They should be fine. I have 4 or 5 (can't remember at the moment) in a 30g at the moment. They are around quarter sized or bigger (quarter sized as in that's the size of their body w/o fins). They are doing well. There are also 3 cory's and 1 Bolivian Ram. Growth Rate is fine, and colors are good.

I just got myself a new Jewel 30 gallon aquarium tonight! :nod:
Now I just have to patiently wait for it to cycle, but in the meantime I will do some planning about what fish and plants that I would like to keep. My husband already has a 48 gallon mature aquarium, so I'll steal some stuff from him to jump-start the process.
I really love Angelfish, but my husband says that they have a jerky personality. But this is my aquarium, so I get to choose what to put in it! I've read a little bit about Angelfish and I know that they are quite tall fish and that they need a rather large aquarium. I decided to 'google' "Angelfish in a 30 gallon" and some people have kept them in such a small tank. I don't want to do that if they will be miserable though. Also the advice is very contradicting. Some places say either keep them single, in a pair or in a large group (6 or more). I definitely know that 6 would be out of the question, but would it be possible to keep a single Angelfish or a pair in a 30 gallon?
If this question seems absurd, then please forgive me as I am completely new to Angelfish. That is the reason why I want to ask BEFORE planning my stock. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me!
As long as you stock your tank sensibly, then 1 or 2 Angelfish would be ok. But the wild Angels (Altum Angels) grow too big for your tank so you can only have either the Common Angelfish (scalare) or the other rarer species, Leopoldi.

Carl

Look for a water depth of at least 16", with 20 gallons for the first angel, 10 additional gallons for each additional fish. If you go by the water depth of 30cm as stated in that video you will end up with ventral issues on an adult fish.

Definately big enough, if you want, I can help you with full stocking? :hyper:

AmazonFTW

(I got the minimum size off of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBF4CfUCVpY this guy seems very knowledgeable to me)
Thanks for the link! As far as stocking, I could definitely use all the help that I can get. I have a few ideas of some things that I would like to go with, but of course it is not set in stone. All I know is that I do love Cichlids (Angelfish and peaceful types). I would like to stick with a biotope, in this case a South American type of theme. In my 'googling' around, I read that a guy kept Angelfish with Keyhole Cichlids and he had no problems. I'm not sure if this will work in a smaller aquarium though, so I am a bit hesitant.
I know that the South American theme will open me up to a large choice of Tetras. I also know that the Angelfish will happily gobble up small Tetras. That is fine by me because I am not such a fan of small Tetras (like Neons and such). I do like the looks of a few of the larger Tetras like Diamond Tetras and Emperor Tetras. I'm already familiar with Congo Tetras as we have a school of them in my husband's aquarium. They also wouldn't fit the biotope anyway.
I also would probably like to throw in a few Cories and perhaps steal one or two Bristle Nosed Plecos from my husband. His Bristle Nosed pair are breeding quite happily, so we have plenty in the moment!
If any of my ramblings about fish sound stupid, like I said please forgive me! I'm kind of new to all of this. So if anyone has any advice about some potential fish stocking, feel free to help me out! :nod:
I will never admit defeat and ask my husband for advice! :lol:

As long as you stock your tank sensibly, then 1 or 2 Angelfish would be ok. But the wild Angels (Altum Angels) grow too big for your tank so you can only have either the Common Angelfish (scalare) or the other rarer species, Leopoldi.

Carl

Okay great! I wanted to go with the Common Angelfish anyway. Does anyone know about pairs of Angelfish? Would they get too aggressive if they decide to breed? I'd be frightened that I would awaken to a tank full of dead fish if that happened! :sad:

Look for a water depth of at least 16", with 20 gallons for the first angel, 10 additional gallons for each additional fish. If you go by the water depth of 30cm as stated in that video you will end up with ventral issues on an adult fish.
Thanks for that advice. My water depth would be 15.7". I hope that would be close enough to be okay? So a 30 gallon would accommodate a pair of Angels?

I'm sure that's close enough, without a doubt I've had 16" deep tanks with pairs loose 0.3" of water through evaporation over a week, probably more. A 30 gallon is fine for a pair, if you plan on breeding watch for tankmates that are egg eaters.

Sotcking:
1x Angelfish (Scalare)
1x Keyhole
5x Cories
1x BN
5x Black Phantom Tetra

AmazonFTW
I'll modify that a bit.
2 Scalare Angelfish (pair)
2 Keyhole Cichlids (pair) or 2 Apistogramma Cichlids (pair) or 2 German Blue Rams(pair)
6 Panda Corys
1 L46 Zebra Pleco
8 Rummynose Tetras (or any other non-nippy Tetras, Black Phantoms can be nippy)

Carl

I would start with 6 angels to get a pair, unless you want to spend the money for a pair. Potential breeders need 5 gallons each. Once you get a pair, return the remainder to your lfs, probably seeing a profit out of this.

You now have your pair, this will be your centerpiece. Choose a cory that likes warmer temperatures if you plan on going that route, pandas like it a bit cooler than the temperatures angels prefer.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back