Angelfish in a 29 tall

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rookiefishguy

Reaction score
Hey all,

Currently have a 29g tall tank, that has black skirt tetras, 6 zebra danios, 6 julii cories and 1 mystery snail. moderately planted but plan on adding a bit more. Flow is pretty high in the tank is moderate and ph sits at around 6.8ish. Its been running for over a year.

My neighbor is setting up a big black skirt tetra tank so he'll be taking mine off my hands as im looking for a change of scenery. I was thinking of getting a single angelfish or maybe a pair for the tank but wanted to know if there would be any issues with the danios/cories? if not an angel fish, any recommendation on some centerpiece fish? I'd like to try something other than tetras

29 gallons is small for angels and they do much better in a group. Two things can happen when keeping a pair of angels in a 29, they could either constantly fight with one another or they will breed, which they will be aggressive to all fish. Minimum tank size, imo, for angels would be 55 gallons.

Appreciate the information. Definitely don't want to get one and have the fight. Any other recommendations for centerpiece fish in a 29g? Looking for something a bit more colorful or unique (although not too unique in terms of feeding requirements ;))

You could try a pearl lace gourami if you want a pretty center piece fish that does well on its own.

I've had one before. They really are a good looking fish and they get to a nice size so they make a great center piece fish.

Gourami is a good centerpiece fish, but be careful, because many can get too big for a 29 gallon. The Gold, Opaline, and Three Spot get around six inches. Also, these fish can be very aggressive. Pearl and Moonlight Gouramis are a good choice for a 29-gallon. The Moonlight gets big but it is still a very peaceful species of gouramis.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness) of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

I keep blue gouramis. They are a beautiful and peaceful fish. Even when they breed they will only chase of other fish but will never hurt any of them. Keeping them with cories and danios worked out for me, I kept a similar tank set up (50 gallon) a few years back with cories zebra danios and gouramis. Never had any problems.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back