Angelfish hole in side

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LittleAngels

Reaction score
Hi, I wondered if someone could help.

I have two angelfish in a community tank 200L, with a Eheim external filter. I have completed water changes every week since January upon identifying an issue with my angelfish and starting medication. One of my angel fish developed three, what looked like holes on its side in a straight line from the bottom of its body upwards. This has now turned into a deep flesh disintegration and over the last two days there are a couple of raised flesh bubbles that have appeared within the wound.

I have spoken to the local aquarium shops and sent photos, they have ruled out ‘hole in the head’ and suggested it might be the pleco or a burn from the heater (which I do not believe is possible as the heater has a cover on it). I treated the tank with a 10 day AquaCare Anti-ulcer and finrot medicine as another aquarium shop suggested it was an ulcer. I then completed a water change and started a 10 day course of melafix. I have completed a further two water changes and only added salt. Unfortunately, the wound is simply getting worse.

A couple of days ago, i noticed that my second Angelfish had what looked like a scale risen on top of its head. I took a photo and zoomed in. It then looked like a tiny white worm. That has now gone and left a white hole. He has lost some of the darkness in his black markings.

I’m not sure if these two things are related. The flesh wound looks terrible and must be very painful for the fish.

I have uploaded 4 photos to show the wound and one of the second angelfish with the white thing coming out of its head.

I notice that both fish have red marks at the top near the dorsal fin and the tail. Is this normal or signs of poor health?

If anyone has any ideas on the problem I would be most grateful for your advice

Attachments

• DFAE98D6-348E-45EA-BD50-F188E630175D.jpeg
    DFAE98D6-348E-45EA-BD50-F188E630175D.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 227
  • E9C78246-9EAF-4E89-8525-80C195CB5C80.jpeg
    E9C78246-9EAF-4E89-8525-80C195CB5C80.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 353
  • 215C7D98-9A78-4ABC-8CCD-4BEF291ACB97.jpeg
    215C7D98-9A78-4ABC-8CCD-4BEF291ACB97.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 879
  • A9244AE6-42AC-47DA-B915-B7FB3BD6D570.jpeg
    A9244AE6-42AC-47DA-B915-B7FB3BD6D570.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 200
The mark on the body looks like some sort of ulcer that is healing. Is it spreading or getting smaller?

Generally red marks indicate irritation from ammonia, nitrite, pH and rarely nitrate.

What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH readings?
Are the fish eating?

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear this happening to your angelfish. This is called Furunculosis: Hole in the Side Disease, click on the name for the link to a webpage telling all you need to know about this, how to prevent it, and how to treat it.

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear this happening to your angelfish. This is called Furunculosis: Hole in the Side Disease, click on the name for the link to a webpage telling all you need to know about this, how to prevent it, and how to treat it.
Oh my goodness, this is terrible. It is gradually getting worse and the hole looks deeper in the body. I do not have an isolation tank and not sure where I would be able to obtain antibiotics. I’m grateful for the details and will speak with the local aquarium shop to look for a solution. It is very annoying that they suggested that it was either an ulcer or a burn for the last two months, so the poor fish has deteriorated. Thank goodness for these forums. Thank you again.

Oh my goodness, this is terrible. It is gradually getting worse and the hole looks deeper in the body. I do not have an isolation tank and not sure where I would be able to obtain antibiotics. I’m grateful for the details and will speak with the local aquarium shop to look for a solution. It is very annoying that they suggested that it was either an ulcer or a burn for the last two months, so the poor fish has deteriorated. Thank goodness for these forums. Thank you again.
Hole in the side disease is a fancy word for an ulcer which I outlined in my original reply. I'm sorry you feel annoyed.

I suggest you grab a NT Labs paramedic kit to clean the wound with an ulcer swab and seal the wound. The fish will need a temporary holding tank which is kept clean with daily 100% water changes and I recommend treating with a broad anti-bacterial named Waterlife Myxazin.

Honestly for injuries you can get a mesh breeder box to put on the edge of the tank.

Hole in the side disease is a fancy word for an ulcer which I outlined in my original reply. I'm sorry you feel annoyed.
Hi Mark, thank you for confirming. The ulcer treatment I used did not work, do you think i should complete another treatment? Do you think the white dot that has been left by whatever the white tiny flake/worm that came from the top of the other angel fish head is also the start of the same problem? Do you think it is ok to treat the whole tank with the ulcer medication? I am due to complete another water change tomorrow and will take readings on the nitrite, ammonia, ph and nitrate. Thanks for your help.

Honestly for injuries you can get a mesh breeder box to put on the edge of the tank.
Hi, the trouble with the boxes i have seen is that they are submersed in the same water, so I could not isolate to treat the water and I cannot put the fish in an isolated box otherwise the filtration system would not access the water and it would be stagnant water. Do you have a suggestion?

Hi, the trouble with the boxes i have seen is that they are submersed in the same water, so I could not isolate to treat the water and I cannot put the fish in an isolated box otherwise the filtration system would not access the water and it would be stagnant water. Do you have a suggestion?
Not really sorry. I have an old 5 gallon I have running just in case something like this happens. Not much else I could think of besides getting a fish bowl with a little sponge filter and heater.

Hi Mark, thank you for confirming. The ulcer treatment I used did not work, do you think i should complete another treatment? Do you think the white dot that has been left by whatever the white tiny flake/worm that came from the top of the other angel fish head is also the start of the same problem? Do you think it is ok to treat the whole tank with the ulcer medication? I am due to complete another water change tomorrow and will take readings on the nitrite, ammonia, ph and nitrate. Thanks for your help.
I have never had any issues with Myxazin not being effective against bacterial issues, and an open wound is going to attract a lot of bacterial. So I recommend using specifically Myxazin in conjunction with the NT Labs Paramedic kit. You said the wound is getting worse so it needs to be cleaned and sealed, needs the water treatment (Myxazin) and a very clean environment where you are doing complete water changes daily.

I have never had any issues with Myxazin not being effective against bacterial issues, and an open wound is going to attract a lot of bacterial. So I recommend using specifically Myxazin in conjunction with the NT Labs Paramedic kit. You said the wound is getting worse so it needs to be cleaned and sealed, needs the water treatment (Myxazin) and a very clean environment where you are doing complete water changes daily.
Hi Mark, not heard of NT labs paramedic kit, this looks great. Yes the wound is getting worse, it looks deeper. You say that complete water changes need to take place every day, are you referring to doing 20% water changes in the main tank every day ? How often will the wound need cleaning and sealing?

Hi Mark, not heard of NT labs paramedic kit, this looks great. Yes the wound is getting worse, it looks deeper. You say that complete water changes need to take place every day, are you referring to doing 20% water changes in the main tank every day ? How often will the wound need cleaning and sealing?

By complete I mean 100% water changes in a separate aquarium. If you cant use another aquarium you could always keep it in the main tank but as it is a deep wound you would need to prioritise larger daily water changes (around 70%) to keep the wound cleaner.

The best option is a separate tank for treatment that is kept very clean with the daily 100% water changes.

In terms of the wound seal you would have to do just monitor it and top up it up as and when.

its a bacterial infection and needs anti-biotics but you will need to see a vet for them coz you live in the uk.

its probably cheaper to euthanise the fish and replace them in a couple of months, than go to a vet.

melafix isn't going to do anything to help that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back