Angelfish Fry Died

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Just a "Novice" here, compared to most.
I stumbled into breeding Cichlids specifically Bolivians about 3 years ago. My favorite fish. Raised hundreds. I use 10g, 20L, 33L even used 15g storage bins in a pinch as grow-out tanks. Of course seeded sponge filters and heaters in all.
Did try Angels but could not get the fry past the 14 day mark? Right now I have 2 batches of EBA about 6 weeks apart.
I tried a number of foods including egg yolk, but... Freshly hatched BBS work best for me. Up to 3 hatcheries going at one point to keep them all feed. Nice "Pink" bellies. After a few weeks I grind-up the first bites or flakes to a very fine powder and start mixing in with the BBS. I feed 3x per day, remember a little goes a long way with the tiny fry. I also choose to do 2-3x a week 50% water changes. They grow very well.
As mentioned raised and sold 100's at local auctions, LFSs and other breeders.
Just my .02
All we can do is assist "Mother Nature".

Good Luck!

Another opinion for newly hatched Baby Brine Shrimp and against egg yolk. Can't speak to other types of fry, but you will lose a lot of baby Angels if you don't feed newly hatched brine shrimp. They need the movement to trigger them to eat. If you are only trying to raise a dozen or so out of the 150 other foods work, but if you want to raise the whole batch, feed baby brine shrimp.

Another opinion for newly hatched Baby Brine Shrimp and against egg yolk. Can't speak to other types of fry, but you will lose a lot of baby Angels if you don't feed newly hatched brine shrimp. They need the movement to trigger them to eat. If you are only trying to raise a dozen or so out of the 150 other foods work, but if you want to raise the whole batch, feed baby brine shrimp.
Excellent point. BBS also teach fry how to hunt.

I would like to make these points about Brine Shrimp.

1. It is a marine organism that we are feeding to fresh water fish.
2. If you feed them to salt sensitive fish like cory's, I don't believe that can be good.
3. It is very expensive and time consuming.
4. They are rather large and the smaller fry won't take them as a first food.

I would like to make these points about Brine Shrimp.

1. It is a marine organism that we are feeding to fresh water fish.
2. If you feed them to salt sensitive fish like cory's, I don't believe that can be good.
3. It is very expensive and time consuming.
4. They are rather large and the smaller fry won't take them as a

1. Brine shrimp (scientifically known as Artemia) are arthropods that, like their relatives the horseshoe crabs, thrive in saline waters. Brine shrimp, however, are not marine, but are found in inland saltwaterlakes. ScienceFriday
2.The typical use for freshly hatched brine shrimp is as live food for fish and other aquatic organisms. ... Before feeding brine shrimp to fish, rinse the nauplii under running water to remove salts and metabolites that might harm the fish. You can then feed them to either freshwater or marine fish. Fisher Scientific
3.Newly hatched brine shrimp are an excellent source of nutrition for aquarium fish, especially fry. They are inexpensive, convenient, easy to hatch, and are readily available when needed. Build Your Aquarium
4. Remember, we are talking about bbs for fry...The nauplii, or larvae, are less than 0.4 mm in length when they first hatch. Wikipedia.
Fry that are freshly hatched have very tiny bodies, and can only eat the smallest of foods. ... Some of the best foods at this stage are infusoria, freshly hatched brine shrimp, and green water. These foods must be available immediately when the fry hatch, as they cannot wait even one day for foods to be prepared. The Spruce Pets

Brine Shrimp – Hands down the best food to feed to fry are baby brine shrimp. Brine shrimp have long been a staple of the aquarium hobby, and are jammed packed with nutrients and protein vital to fry. Even more important, is that their movements through the water trigger the hunting instinct in baby fish, and even the most finicky of fry will accept them.

Another plus, is that they are extremely easy to culture, and the eggs can be kept for years in a cool, dry place. These eggs can then be hatched in a brine shrimp hatchery, and will be ready to feed to new born fry within 24 to 48 hours. If you want to feed your fry baby brine shrimp, you can find a brine shrimp hatchery at Amazon.com.
ir

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A two liter soda bottle with the bottom cut off and turned upside down works just as good if not better than the commercial hatcheries. And it is cheaper.

A two liter soda bottle with the bottom cut off and turned upside down works just as good if not better than the commercial hatcheries. And it is cheaper.
Yep, that’s what I use but only a water bottle size. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 44
I am so sorry! I didn't get any of these alerts at all. Just want to give you all an update. After moving the 70 or so fry to a 10-gallon tank. We have only had one casualty. We are feeding newly hatched baby brine shrimp with small plate fish food as well. We have a $125 gallon set up with a few fish in it to get ready for the angelfish fry. My question is what on earth color of fry are these? Dad was a dark marble and mom was a light marble. These things look like zebras with dark heads to me. And thank you all so much for your replies. I am learning quite a bit.. these guys are just a little over a month old and most of them pretty much look like this guy.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210126_125655.jpg
    MVIMG_20210126_125655.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 44
The colors will change as they grow. Hard to tell at this age what they will look like when they are bigger. Pretty sure they will look like the parents when they get older.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back