Angelfish eggs question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My first batch with these two. Two questions, is my bubbler too close to the eggs and how many drops of hydrogen peroxide should I use to ward off fungus?
3BD71A1A-DB28-4B1C-831F-E9408DD6AB1B.jpeg
5935B52B-E75B-4A2D-ADEF-398D266C22CE.jpeg
57CBB859-7198-413E-8543-431E9E8BF684.jpeg

Congrats on the spawn!! For question 1, i think no~ at least, thats my experience. For question 2, I've no idea, so i'm not answering! Looking forward for updates on the fry!

Last year I raised three batches of angels. I kept the eggs with the parents, and didn't add anything to prevent fungus, I let the parents look after that. If there were any white eggs the parents removed them. I found it easiest to feed the fry freshly hatched brine shrimp, I had no luck with protozoan cultures. I also raised the fry with the parents without issues.

It looks like you moved the cone to be in the water flow. I would have to say that the parents in my case only laid the eggs in lower water flow areas where they would fan the eggs. Obviously I had some luck in that my parent fish were not inclined to eat the eggs or the young.

When the parents look after them once they hatch they tend to move all the sticky head wigglers to a new location. The parents would start cleaning a new area then one minute all the fry are at the new area.

This is my log of my second attempt at raising angels, my first was unsuccessful. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/angelfish-breeding-log-2nd-attempt.472784/. I used information from various forum members to help with raising them.

To answer your question directly I think the eggs are too close to the airstone.

@Uberhoust has sound advice. You may lose the first few batches if the angelfish are young (inexperienced), but if you leave the eggs in with them this will occur anyway, so better let them do the job.

I would not use hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer that has been used under field conditions to control I. multifiliis. High doses can cause gill damage leading to fish mortality (especially at high temperatures) (Schmidt et al. 2006; Noga, 2010; Picon-Camcho et al. 2011). Regardless of "high" doses, with fry this is going to be serious at any dose.

Back in the 1980's I used methylene blue for fungus. Malachite green also works, though it is said to be carcinogenic. But I have killed fungus on Corydoras by dabbing the fungus (with the fish in a net just out of water) with both (not together) and instantly dead fungus.

Last year I raised three batches of angels. I kept the eggs with the parents, and didn't add anything to prevent fungus, I let the parents look after that. If there were any white eggs the parents removed them. I found it easiest to feed the fry freshly hatched brine shrimp, I had no luck with protozoan cultures. I also raised the fry with the parents without issues.

It looks like you moved the cone to be in the water flow. I would have to say that the parents in my case only laid the eggs in lower water flow areas where they would fan the eggs. Obviously I had some luck in that my parent fish were not inclined to eat the eggs or the young.

When the parents look after them once they hatch they tend to move all the sticky head wigglers to a new location. The parents would start cleaning a new area then one minute all the fry are at the new area.

This is my log of my second attempt at raising angels, my first was unsuccessful. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/angelfish-breeding-log-2nd-attempt.472784/. I used information from various forum members to help with raising them.

To answer your question directly I think the eggs are too close to the airstone.
I appreciate the advice and will take it into account if I decide to raise angels on the regular, however letting the parents rear their young is not a possibility at this point. They live in a community tank with two other angels and a mixture of other fish (pleco and cories). The eggs will undoubtedly be eaten/ the aggression wont be good for any of them. I have an up and running 29gallon I'll raise the fry in until they can be moved. They seem to show good parenting behavior though, as they laid these eggs early in the day and protected them for almost ten hours without eating them. I have about three local LFS that they can go to once old enough.

Im not sure if I can move the parents with the eggs as I've read that this can stress them to the point they eat them. Would placing a divider in the tank work? I could section off the corner with the parents and babies so they have isolation I suppose.

I've got the blue on order but sadly amazon likes to take their merry time nowadays. These angels caught me off gaurd with the egg laying. I used the peroxide as it was what I had on hand, but don't worry I'll be using the blue for any future artificial egg rearing. So far the eggs havent shown any sign of turning and seem to all be fertilized. The info I've found says to only dose three times with 12 hours in between. For the breeder box I ordered one drop is luckily underdosed as the guide calls for 2 mL drops per gallon and I did one as I was uncertain as well. I've been emptying the container to half way to dilute the water before redosing with one drop. I've got my fingers crossed!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back