Angelfish Eggs/fry......

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rossyt99

Fishaholic
Reaction score
After my Angels had their latest batch of eggs, I only have a couple left after 7days. There are no other fish in with them, Temp; 27/82. PH; 7.0, + well-Oxygenated. ......I have noticed a few 'Planaria' white things in the tank, and I know that larger fish have no trouble with them, but am wary that they have eaten/affected the fry. The eggs were actually at wriggling, then free-swimming stage but out of the 100 or so, only two are still visible!

>>Any advice/experience with Planaria/Eggs greatly appreciated.

(P.s; I have the fry in a separate jug now, and will clean out the tank and attempt to get rid of the Planaria by cutting off food supply/ vacuuming.)

Planaria may, hydra will. Fry tanks are often edging on overfed, this is one of the few exceptions to the rule that underfeeding is better than overfeeding. I dose fry tanks with 1/2 the suggested dose of copper sulfate pentahydrate for the first week or two of swimming, this should only be done if you have harder water. This prevents a bunch of problems with parasites or protizoans that the adults live quite fine with, but can decimate fry.

Copper is a strong chemical, know your water, and your fish before trying this, as copper is quite toxic in softer water.

Planaria may, hydra will. Fry tanks are often edging on overfed, this is one of the few exceptions to the rule that underfeeding is better than overfeeding. I dose fry tanks with 1/2 the suggested dose of copper sulfate pentahydrate for the first week or two of swimming, this should only be done if you have harder water. This prevents a bunch of problems with parasites or protizoans that the adults live quite fine with, but can decimate fry.

Copper is a strong chemical, know your water, and your fish before trying this, as copper is quite toxic in softer water.

Cheers, my PH is around 7.0/ 7.2 from tap.

>I'll look into the Copper sulphate and also go ahead with the clean-out before the parents are ready for next batch to be layed. :rolleyes:

Well, cleaned out fully, scrubbed glass and removed the mucky gravel/decor.
>> I hope to keep it cleaner now that it is 'bare-bottomed' and eliminate any more Planaria growing.....(Took me almost 4 hours!)

>I Will be adding the Angel Pair back again soon, as they will be due another batch in a few days.

Any recommendations for Fry survival??; PH is 7.2, Temp is 27(82), Airstone in and only a Slate/Cone as decor. Meth Blue will be added when needed
(The Parents have chosen the side of Internal Filter to lay the eggs so far....typical!)

Thanks in advance. :good:

planaria can destroy a whole batch of eggs within hours , so yes they will destroy the eggs

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back