Angelfish Eating Duck Weed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VidVid

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi.
i placed some duckweed into my 35gallon aquarium for a bit of shade. i have just noticed that my angelfish once in a while will take a few duckweed and eat it. is this plant safe for my angelfish to eat??? also, i fear that if it starts to like it even more, it might eat too much for him to handle and probably die by overfeeding itself. Do i need to take the duckweed out, or can i just leave it in the tank (i dont mind if he eats it as long as it is not harmful to him)??? Thanks.

let him eat the stuff. It is fine for them. A bit unusual but fine. My rainbowfish used to eat heaps of the stuff. I could never grow enough for them. And that's saying something for duckweed normally goes nuts.

let him eat the stuff. It is fine for them. A bit unusual but fine. My rainbowfish used to eat heaps of the stuff. I could never grow enough for them. And that's saying something for duckweed normally goes nuts.
Agreed, it is actually quite nutritious and wont do any harm. I also feed it to my rainbows and sevs and they destroy it, I also use a food processor to grind it and mix it into homeade frozen foods.

Tis strange about the angels eating it but no worries :)

Drew

i used to have a silver shark that used to love the stuff it would clear a tank a week :good:

biff

Normally at work we like to offer customers aquatic plants like Cabomba for their omnivorous fish. Not all of them end up eating it, but a good portion do.

hi.
i placed some duckweed into my 35gallon aquarium for a bit of shade. i have just noticed that my angelfish once in a while will take a few duckweed and eat it. is this plant safe for my angelfish to eat??? also, i fear that if it starts to like it even more, it might eat too much for him to handle and probably die by overfeeding itself. Do i need to take the duckweed out, or can i just leave it in the tank (i dont mind if he eats it as long as it is not harmful to him)??? Thanks.
I was given a couple stems and grew it in separate tank for a few months, put it in my main today and somebody told me take it out cause it will kill everything? So kinda curious but glad to read it' not harmful and fish eat it cause my angel is eating it too, and fish now seem a little more active

Duckweed and all true aquatic plants are safe for fish (and people) to eat.

On a side note, this thread is from a while back (2008), so try not to get too carried responding to it :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back