Angelfish Breading

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lolly292

Reaction score
HI GUYS

THIS IS MY FIRST EVER POST.
I LOVE ANGELFISH AND I NEVER THOUGHT I WANTED THEM TO BREED OR ANYTHING BUT ONE DAY I CAME HOME FROM WORK AND NOTICED MY ANGELFISH HAD LAIID EGGS ON ONE OF MY PLANTS.
I LOOKED ON GOOGLE AND I READ THAT THE BEST THING IS TO TURN THE TEMP UP TO 80 AND TURN OFF THE LIGHTS.
UNFORTUNATLY THEY ALL TURNE WHITE AND WAS EATEN
THEY HAVE LAID 4 TIMES NOW, THE MOST RECENT WAS ON CHRISTMAS DAY AND THE EGGS NOW STAYED ON THE PLANTS FOR NEARLY 4 DAYS...I THINK BUT THEN WERE EATEN AFTER TURNING WHITE.
WHEN THEY EGGS TURNED WHITE THIS TIME, THEY LEFT A RESIDUE ON THE LEFT. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED ON THE OTHER OCCAISIONS.
THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS THE EGGS WERE MORE MATTURE IN THE PROCESS THAN ON THE OTHER OCCAISIONS.
I ALWAYS TURN OFF THE LIGHT BUT THE EGGS STILL TURN WHITE.
THE ANGELFISH DO GUARD THE EGGS AND THAT AND I REMOVED THE OTHER FISH FROM THE TANK BUT I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WONT LAST.
I SAW THE FEMALE LAY THE EGGS AND THEN THE MALE GO OVER AND FERTILISE THEM SO IM NOT SURE WHATS HAPPENING.
I KNOW ROUGHLY WHEN IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN SO I MAKE SURE THE FILTER IS CLEANED AND WATER CHANGED, ONLY LIKE 20% ISH, NOT TOO MUCH.
I WOULDNT HAVE MINDED IF THEY NEVER LAID EGGS BEFORE BUT I REALLY WANT THEM TO LIVE AND NOT DIE.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

I HAVE SOME PICTURES OF THE EGGS THAT ARE LAYING WHEN THEY ARE CLEAR BUT THEY JUST NEVER STAY CLEAR.
O YEAH ON THE CHRISTMAS ONES, THEY STAYED CLEAR FOR ROUGHLY 2 DAY BEFORE ANY COLOUR CHANGES....

PLEASE HELP

Stop shouting at us and post some details about your set up. People are very difficult to understand when they shout >.<

My angel pair i used to have took around 8 attempts to actually raise there fry, first four batches went exsactly the same as your describing, they are quite difficult to raise, you need alot of time and effort, look out for tolak, he breeds angelfish like there going out of fashion :lol:
They need to be fanned, the male should take on this role, but the female does also do this, i found once i got to free swimming stage was, after about a week, the male would turn and eat them all, some folk use those air pumps fanning the eggs,not directing on the eggs, more the flow blowing over, if that makes sense :fun:

The Eggs should hatch after 24-48hr after laid. You can't tell they hatched unless you look really really close you will see tails poke out of the eggs that's the fry hatching. The new fry stay attached to whatever the parents stick them to for a week then they are free swimming. Once free swimming that's when I lose them due to filters other fish or them not getting enough food or water not clean enough. They could just be young and they will get it once mature. Stop turning the lights on and off just leave the tank as is change will stress then. If you move the eggs they will eat them if you stress them out they will eat them.

Here are some photos of my angels eggs so you can see what they look like as they hatch. Also once the fry tails pop out if the egg many times the parents will move the fry to another place and there they grow till they start to swim.

Here is my adventure with breeding angels. Check out the photos.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/345004-breeding-angels/page__hl__Snowflake311__fromsearch__1

My angel pair i used to have took around 8 attempts to actually raise there fry, first four batches went exsactly the same as your describing, they are quite difficult to raise, you need alot of time and effort, look out for tolak, he breeds angelfish like there going out of fashion :lol:
They need to be fanned, the male should take on this role, but the female does also do this, i found once i got to free swimming stage was, after about a week, the male would turn and eat them all, some folk use those air pumps fanning the eggs,not directing on the eggs, more the flow blowing over, if that makes sense :fun:

i think they might have been fanning them. ill turn my filter bit around so the water blows out in the direct of the eggs being laid then...
thanks for your help.
they should lay some in the net week or 2, ill have to keep you posted.

The Eggs should hatch after 24-48hr after laid. You can't tell they hatched unless you look really really close you will see tails poke out of the eggs that's the fry hatching. The new fry stay attached to whatever the parents stick them to for a week then they are free swimming. Once free swimming that's when I lose them due to filters other fish or them not getting enough food or water not clean enough. They could just be young and they will get it once mature. Stop turning the lights on and off just leave the tank as is change will stress then. If you move the eggs they will eat them if you stress them out they will eat them.

Here are some photos of my angels eggs so you can see what they look like as they hatch. Also once the fry tails pop out if the egg many times the parents will move the fry to another place and there they grow till they start to swim.

Here is my adventure with breeding angels. Check out the photos.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/345004-breeding-angels/page__hl__Snowflake311__fromsearch__1

i thought that the eggs were light sensitive thats why i left the light off.
also i just looked at your eggs and mine were nothing like that.
they had no tails, i looked with a magnifine glass too!

Sounds like your fish are too young and the male is not doing his part right. Like nelly said it can take them many trys to get it right.

Sounds like your fish are too young and the male is not doing his part right. Like nelly said it can take them many trys to get it right.
Aye, or maybe the water could be too hard so he doesn't have enough time to do his part..

Aye, or maybe the water could be too hard so he doesn't have enough time to do his part..
I have had my water checked and it's pretty good. I have a feeling that they just ain't got it yet. I only had one of my fishes about 4 months so it's pretty new to it.

"Good" does not always mean "suitable for the fish you have to breed in". Do you know the exact readings?

HI GUYS

THIS IS MY FIRST EVER POST.
I LOVE ANGELFISH AND I NEVER THOUGHT I WANTED THEM TO BREED OR ANYTHING BUT ONE DAY I CAME HOME FROM WORK AND NOTICED MY ANGELFISH HAD LAIID EGGS ON ONE OF MY PLANTS.
I LOOKED ON GOOGLE AND I READ THAT THE BEST THING IS TO TURN THE TEMP UP TO 80 AND TURN OFF THE LIGHTS.
UNFORTUNATLY THEY ALL TURNE WHITE AND WAS EATEN
THEY HAVE LAID 4 TIMES NOW, THE MOST RECENT WAS ON CHRISTMAS DAY AND THE EGGS NOW STAYED ON THE PLANTS FOR NEARLY 4 DAYS...I THINK BUT THEN WERE EATEN AFTER TURNING WHITE.
WHEN THEY EGGS TURNED WHITE THIS TIME, THEY LEFT A RESIDUE ON THE LEFT. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED ON THE OTHER OCCAISIONS.
THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS THE EGGS WERE MORE MATTURE IN THE PROCESS THAN ON THE OTHER OCCAISIONS.
I ALWAYS TURN OFF THE LIGHT BUT THE EGGS STILL TURN WHITE.
THE ANGELFISH DO GUARD THE EGGS AND THAT AND I REMOVED THE OTHER FISH FROM THE TANK BUT I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WONT LAST.
I SAW THE FEMALE LAY THE EGGS AND THEN THE MALE GO OVER AND FERTILISE THEM SO IM NOT SURE WHATS HAPPENING.
I KNOW ROUGHLY WHEN IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN SO I MAKE SURE THE FILTER IS CLEANED AND WATER CHANGED, ONLY LIKE 20% ISH, NOT TOO MUCH.
I WOULDNT HAVE MINDED IF THEY NEVER LAID EGGS BEFORE BUT I REALLY WANT THEM TO LIVE AND NOT DIE.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

I HAVE SOME PICTURES OF THE EGGS THAT ARE LAYING WHEN THEY ARE CLEAR BUT THEY JUST NEVER STAY CLEAR.
O YEAH ON THE CHRISTMAS ONES, THEY STAYED CLEAR FOR ROUGHLY 2 DAY BEFORE ANY COLOUR CHANGES....

PLEASE HELP
I have found leaving the lights on at this stage helps. They can see predators coming. When lights go off they just eat them so others can't.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back