Angelfish attacked

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lynzie

Reaction score
So I have a 36 gallon tank with 2 blood red parrot fish, 2 angelfish, and an albino bichir.

2 days ago, my (black & white) angelfish was attacked by the albino bichir.... the entire dorsal fin is gone!!! my poor baby.
What do I do? Do I need to medicate the tank? please help. I am relatively new to the fish world.. I feel so bad seeing him swim.. is it painful?
Also... WILL IT GROW BACK?!
D6C46B59-39BC-4DA2-A3B5-7DBC065801AF.jpeg
4CA65121-FB19-4B9A-8E1A-8FF6D6856627.jpeg

Perhaps our resident fish guru @Colin_T has some input on your question. He is very knowledgeable about such situations as yours.

Right now, this is a slow time on our site. Things will pick up in a few hours. But @Colin_T is on now and hopefully will respond soon.

It'll grow back. Keep the water clean to help by doing daily large (75%) water changes. Adding some aquarium salt might help but @Colin_T would be best to advise about that.

There are a few things you can do to help your fish feel more secure & hopefully lower aggression. I'd put more hiding places using more live plants. Floating plants give great cover too. Your tank gets light all around so a backing on the tank would be better.

I'm not sure of the dimensions of your tank but Seriously Fish (a trusted evidence based source) recommends quite a large tank for angelfish. With an aquarium measuring 100 ∗ 40 ∗ 50 cm. Do your fish have the right space?

The bichir needs a 90G tank. So again I think.an issue to address is the fish you have in your tank. It can be hard to re-home fish, i know myself. However it would be better for the fish you have the right size home & suitable environment. If a bigger tank isn't an option I'd recommend trade with the local fish shop. This will give you a chance to provide a better home for fish and you can build up a lovely community tank better suited to your water & tank size.

Since you mentioned you are new to the hobby, I wanted to add a bit of context for what @AilyNC mentioned about rehoming fish: many large chain pet stores or stores with a pet section unfortunately do not count as "Local Fish Shop"s. Yes they sell fish but to get called an LFS, there is generally an expected standard that you at least try to do what is best for the fish involved and not just derive profit from them. Then again, there are plenty of LFS's that don't follow that ideal, sooo.... But in general, a LFS is a store that specializes mostly or only in fish.

I bring this up because what I have learned is that when large chain pet stores take fish back, they often all go into one holding tank where the individual fish's parameters or needs are not met, and furthermore due to how these holding tanks are set up, the fish are rarely sold and ultimately end up dying :(

I am certain that you will be able to find a fish store near you that will be able to accommodate the bichir if you do choose to re-home it. An alternate approach is to try listing it for sale on a classifieds page, but it's difficult to know whether the buyer will be knowledgeable either.

I would also second the recommendation on aquarium salt, but would double check that the bichir will tolerate it. I m not familiar with that fish at all, but looking them up just now it seems to me that the reason it is showing aggression is that it is probably feeling crowded in too small of a tank.

Keep us updated on how things progress!

Since you mentioned you are new to the hobby, I wanted to add a bit of context for what @AilyNC mentioned about rehoming fish: many large chain pet stores or stores with a pet section unfortunately do not count as "Local Fish Shop"s. Yes they sell fish but to get called an LFS, there is generally an expected standard that you at least try to do what is best for the fish involved and not just derive profit from them. Then again, there are plenty of LFS's that don't follow that ideal, sooo.... But in general, a LFS is a store that specializes mostly or only in fish.

I bring this up because what I have learned is that when large chain pet stores take fish back, they often all go into one holding tank where the individual fish's parameters or needs are not met, and furthermore due to how these holding tanks are set up, the fish are rarely sold and ultimately end up dying :(

I am certain that you will be able to find a fish store near you that will be able to accommodate the bichir if you do choose to re-home it. An alternate approach is to try listing it for sale on a classifieds page, but it's difficult to know whether the buyer will be knowledgeable either.

I would also second the recommendation on aquarium salt, but would double check that the bichir will tolerate it. I m not familiar with that fish at all, but looking them up just now it seems to me that the reason it is showing aggression is that it is probably feeling crowded in too small of a tank.

Keep us updated on how things progress!

Thank you for your reply!!! The bichir I have is a Senegal bichir so they will only grow to be half the size of ornate bichirs which require the 90 gallon tank! My original plan was to eventually get a larger tank as they all got bigger! He’s about (4 inches long right now) BUT I do agree that I need to rehome him I don’t want any stress in my tank and now I’m scared for my poor angelfish... my local pet store is a mom and pop pet store and they are AWESOME! They take great care of all their fish and are very knowledgeable.. but other than doing water changes for my angelfish every day, how long will it take to grow back?!

Thank you for your reply!!! The bichir I have is a Senegal bichir so they will only grow to be half the size of ornate bichirs which require the 90 gallon tank! My original plan was to eventually get a larger tank as they all got bigger! He’s about (4 inches long right now) BUT I do agree that I need to rehome him I don’t want any stress in my tank and now I’m scared for my poor angelfish... my local pet store is a mom and pop pet store and they are AWESOME! They take great care of all their fish and are very knowledgeable.. but other than doing water changes for my angelfish every day, how long will it take to grow back?!

No idea how long it'll take. I'd Angel fish with half a fun that was ok in a few weeks. I'd check if aquarium salt is on with all your fish and if so use that. I'd still say the Angelfish might need a bigger tank so it may be worth looking into upgrading their tank. Having lots of ants and floating plants will help them all feel better and secure too as well as improving water quality.

Your parrots will 100% also need a bigger tank, so it's really just a matter of time. Even though parrots are generally not aggressive, even they can show aggression in close quarters. @Ladykelly has a nice journal thread about her parrots which should shed some light into this topic too

Happy day...I would not have guessed that it was the bichir who did that damage. In my experience with this little fella (see tawdry picture), if he couldn't get his mouth around it, he wasn't gonna mess with it. I would have totally picked out the parrots as being your culprits. The other fins look ragged from the beating.

Attachments

• 20130417_104105.jpg
    20130417_104105.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 135
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I know you said you where planning on a bigger tank, so you already realize the size tank (which is beautiful I might add) is to small for all the cichlids you have, Angel Fish included. I have mine in a 55 gal and come to realize it is two small for my Angel Fish, I only have two and they are the only ones in the tank of cichlid type. They are bulling the Red Eye Tetras and other inhabitants of my tank. I am also sure my Angel Fish killed one of my mystery snails. These fish like Angel Fish grow really fast, when I put them in the tank back in June they were very small. Now they are almost the size of my hand. I have a 75 gallon that I will be soon setting up to re-home my Angel Fish, hopefully before they kill all my tetras.

Most reactions

trending

Back