Angelfish and Rosy Tetras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

enricosonic

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Would these be good tank mates? The angels are relatively young and approximately 1" in diameter excluding fins. I have two going into a 75g and would like to add another two, possibly three (same size) if that is recommended for their well-being and my tank size. Online info is contradictory at best.

It appears Rosy Tetras have similar water chemistry needs but would they be fin-nippers? These two (angels and RTs) were in a tank together at my LFS today.

Don't know if this helps but I had 8 ornate tetras with my angels and did not have any episodes of fin nipping. I believe the ornates and rosy tetras are pretty similar in behavior, but I would wait till some of the others pipe in, they may have a different opinion based on actual experience with the Rosy Tetras. I say had because I did have a bout of Ich when building the tank up and the ornates were particularly sensitive and I lost 3.

Would these be good tank mates? The angels are relatively young and approximately 1" in diameter excluding fins. I have two going into a 75g and would like to add another two, possibly three (same size) if that is recommended for their well-being and my tank size. Online info is contradictory at best.

It appears Rosy Tetras have similar water chemistry needs but would they be fin-nippers? These two (angels and RTs) were in a tank together at my LFS today.
If what you’re referring to is this species of tetra below then yes they do fine with angels. I had quite a few in my 60 gallon with my adult angels and never had any issues with aggression or fin nipping. They like to school and can get to a decent size so be sure your tank is large enough. There is another species of tetra that looks very similar but has a red spot on its center, I had one once by accident and it was a nippy fella, had to go back to the lfs and switch him out for the right one.

55DC5B8D-9667-4D03-B20C-99D8247F8CBB.jpeg

If what you’re referring to is this species of tetra below then yes they do fine with angels. I had quite a few in my 60 gallon with my adult angels and never had any issues with aggression or fin nipping. They like to school and can get to a decent size so be sure your tank is large enough. There is another species of tetra that looks very similar but has a red spot on its center, I had one once by accident and it was a nippy fella, had to go back to the lfs and switch him out for the right one.

View attachment 155589
Yeah that’s the one, no spot. Ok thank you.

Several similar species in the "Rosy" clade should work, provided there are enough of them. At least 12, but 15-20 would be better. Most of these Hyphessobrycon species in this "clade" are quiet (non-active swimmers), remaining in the lower half of the aquarium, but they need good plant cover. H. rosaceous is peaceful.

The real issue though is the angelfish...if by "two" you mean a bonded mated pair, fine. Otherwise, no. This is a shoaling fish that needs five or six minimum, and kept as 2, 3 or 4 is not likely to work. There are always possible exceptions, but hoping the fish will be abnormal rather than normal is not a good idea.

If there are five or six, male/female is likely to be present, and if a "pair" should bond, either the pair or the remaining three/four may need to be moved.

Several similar species in the "Rosy" clade should work, provided there are enough of them. At least 12, but 15-20 would be better. Most of these Hyphessobrycon species in this "clade" are quiet (non-active swimmers), remaining in the lower half of the aquarium, but they need good plant cover. H. rosaceous is peaceful.

The real issue though is the angelfish...if by "two" you mean a bonded mated pair, fine. Otherwise, no. This is a shoaling fish that needs five or six minimum, and kept as 2, 3 or 4 is not likely to work. There are always possible exceptions, but hoping the fish will be abnormal rather than normal is not a good idea.

If there are five or six, male/female is likely to be present, and if a "pair" should bond, either the pair or the remaining three/four may need to be moved.
Is a 75 gallon large enough for 5-6 angelfish?

EDIT: Including 15-20 of said tetras, that is.

Last edited:
Angel fish stocking starts fights among fishkeepers - there are a lot of black and white opinions. I have a personal rule of even numbers with angels. It seems like one always gets picked on if you have fewer then four, and six would be my number IF they are all equal sized and go in at the same time. They grow fast, so be ready.

6 angels and a dozen or more rosy tetras would be a good tank. Consider a decor in at least part of the tank that mimics reeds or roots descending from the surface or straigght up from the bottom. Vallisneria americana is a good, easy plant for them. Wild angels have stripes that show their preference for such habitat, and there are a lot of underwater in Amazonia videos to back that up.

Is a 75 gallon large enough for 5-6 angelfish?

EDIT: Including 15-20 of said tetras, that is.

At the preliminary stage, yes. And keeping in mind @GaryE post above with which I agree.

I don't know your experience or knowledge level, so previously I briefly mentioned the issue. I'll expand here as it may be useful. The issue is what will occur going forward.

There is only one way to understand what a fish species requires, and that is to research and learn the species and its habitat. Pterophyllum scalare lives in smallish groups; smallish means a couple dozen perhaps, compared to groups of many dozens and even hundreds for shoaling fish like most characins, Corydoras, etc. The fish within each of these groups will have something of an hierarchy. Pushing and shoving is normal, but rarely leads to much more. When a pair bonds, the group is basically pulled apart. This is the point at which habitat and aquarium environments separate. What plays out in the habitat--and which is therefore what the angelfish expects--cannot be replicated in even the largest home aquarium. This means we the aquarists need to intervene or a tank of dead fish may result. Usually we remove the bonded pair, or we remove the other angelfish.

In the habitat, this seems to play out without any real issue because of the space. The bonded pair (or pairs) will establish their respective territory around some object, usually branches and similar, and the other fish know enough to leave them alone. Skirmishes to enforce this usually are quick and without injury; there is sufficient space for the other fish to keep away. In even the largest aquarium the fish are forced into an environment they find stressful, and unnatural. When fish face this, they either fight or lose.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back