Angelfish, Amano Shrimp and Corydoras

Linkandnavi

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I'll be adding some angelfish (six juvenile) to my 120 gallon tank in the next few months. Nothing in there are the moment as it`s nearing the end of its cycle and the (juvenile) angelfish will be some of the last to go in.

I haven't kept angels previously but while they're some of the least aggressive, I'm not losing sight of the fact that they are cichlid and the general rule that if it fits inside its mouth, it will probably be prayed upon at some point.

That said, almost everything I have read seems to suggest that angelfish will largely be fine with any corydoras but will almost certainly eat amano shrimp due to their size. Amano shrimp in my other tank are huge (comparatively), topping out at around 3.5cm. Other than some of the larger corydoras, most others tend to be smaller than that or the same size (salt and pepper around 3cm max, pandas 3-4cm).

I'm just wondering if, from experience, anyone thinks I`m underestimating the risks to the corys or overestimating the risk to the amanos? The tank has an algae issue due to imbalances during the cycle and a few amanos would help (there will be a couple of true Siamese Algae Eaters in there at some point which will help too).

Thanks.

Matt.

Afternoon all,

I'll be adding some angelfish (six juvenile) to my 120 gallon tank in the next few months. Nothing in there are the moment as it`s nearing the end of its cycle and the (juvenile) angelfish will be some of the last to go in.

I haven't kept angels previously but while they're some of the least aggressive, I'm not losing sight of the fact that they are cichlid and the general rule that if it fits inside its mouth, it will probably be prayed upon at some point.

That said, almost everything I have read seems to suggest that angelfish will largely be fine with any corydoras but will almost certainly eat amano shrimp due to their size. Amano shrimp in my other tank are huge (comparatively), topping out at around 3.5cm. Other than some of the larger corydoras, most others tend to be smaller than that or the same size (salt and pepper around 3cm max, pandas 3-4cm).

I'm just wondering if, from experience, anyone thinks I`m underestimating the risks to the corys or overestimating the risk to the amanos? The tank has an algae issue due to imbalances during the cycle and a few amanos would help (there will be a couple of true Siamese Algae Eaters in there at some point which will help too).

Thanks.

Matt.
They will be fine I think I keep corys with a severum and no trouble I personally donā€™t like angles ( just my preference) they are t the fastest of swimmers so then catching fish I wouldnā€™t worry about

They will be fine I think I keep corys with a severum and no trouble I personally donā€™t like angles ( just my preference) they are t the fastest of swimmers so then catching fish I wouldnā€™t worry about
Thanks, that's really helpful ?

Agree cories wonā€™t be an issue even the smaller pandas will be fine but Iā€™m not so sure about the shrimp if they are big and in the tank when angels arrive could be ok but they are likely to get attacked and eaten. If you have an other tank for the shrimp Iā€™d probably keep them in there.

Agree cories wonā€™t be an issue even the smaller pandas will be fine but Iā€™m not so sure about the shrimp if they are big and in the tank when angels arrive could be ok but they are likely to get attacked and eaten. If you have an other tank for the shrimp Iā€™d probably keep them in there.
Thanks. No shrimp in that tank at present. I have them in another tank. It was more about whether to introduce some as a bit of a clean up crew, but I`ll give it a miss in the angel tank. Thanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back