Angelfish all swimming at the top, need help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

abegonzalez0221

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought three angels for my 55 gallon two weeks ago, but three days ago they all started swimming at the top and I noticed the black one started developing some sort of white mucus (see picture below). They are all eating fine and go crazy for the bloodworms and pellets i give them, but they look stressed out of their mind. I do have 5 Buenos Aires tetras in there that I added the same day I noticed them acting funny (didnā€™t realize till after I put them in). My PH is at 7.8, Ammonia is at 0, Nitrates and Nitrites also at 0 and its currently ditting at 76Ā°F. I really donā€™t know whats wrong with them. I put some Pimafix and some awuarium salt in today to see if it helps. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DBAD63AE-D2E5-4555-9E40-19021597F928.jpeg
    DBAD63AE-D2E5-4555-9E40-19021597F928.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 2B630DFE-2C92-4453-9700-D59C44ED0B0F.jpeg
    2B630DFE-2C92-4453-9700-D59C44ED0B0F.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 77A05652-98E9-4002-B8F5-17E92729C9D1.jpeg
    77A05652-98E9-4002-B8F5-17E92729C9D1.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 55
Hi, I recently bought three angels for my 55 gallon two weeks ago, but three days ago they all started swimming at the top and I noticed the black one started developing some sort of white mucus (see picture below). They are all eating fine and go crazy for the bloodworms and pellets i give them, but they look stressed out of their mind. I do have 5 Buenos Aires tetras in there that I added the same day I noticed them acting funny (didnā€™t realize till after I put them in). My PH is at 7.8, Ammonia is at 0, Nitrates and Nitrites also at 0 and its currently ditting at 76Ā°F. I really donā€™t know whats wrong with them. I put some Pimafix and some awuarium salt in today to see if it helps. Any suggestions?
Do they open their mouths when they go up to the top, or do they just stay there and do nothing?

Also, meant to ask, what are your water params?

How long has the tank been set up? I know your ammonia and nitrites are 0, but just wondering how long your tank has been set up and if your tank was properly cycled and if so, how did you go about cycling it?

The fish have clamped fins and are covered in excess mucous (the white stuff on their body is mucous). This is normally caused by something in the water irritating the fish.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for one week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

How long has the tank been set up? I know your ammonia and nitrites are 0, but just wondering how long your tank has been set up and if your tank was properly cycled and if so, how did you go about cycling it?
The fish have clamped fins and are covered in excess mucous (the white stuff on their body is mucous). This is normally caused by something in the water irritating the fish.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for one week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the wate

There is no film? And two of them passed away last night :( trying my best to keep the last one alive, moved him to a 10g hospital tank and am treating him there. There was a bit of algea that was on the glass that with the pimafix did look a little musty but it went away very fast after i did a water change, scrubbed the algea too. I also mentioned my buenos aires, they seem to be doing fine, colors are popping, ill monitor them and see if they also develop the same thing, if not then i guess im just bad at this. I also have a small dwarf mexican crayfish in there who is very active, I donā€™t know. Iā€™ll probably just end up getting more angels a few months down the road to be safe. Thank you for the advice tho.

Most reactions

trending

Back