Angelfish advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Elephant nose 4

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi I have had my angelfish for around 6mth, a couple of days ago I noticed her fin torn I've been giving clean water daily, got up this morning and there's another rip. Haven't seen her being harassed by others but it could be happening at night. She shares the tank with congo tetra 9 of them and my elephant noses.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Temp 26
20221206_092503.jpg

The torn fins might have happened if your angelfish was being chased off by a couple Congo tetras. If your aquarium doesn’t have a lot of planted areas for the angelfish to swim amongst and feel secure, it is possible that something bumping the tank or some other noise in the room caused the angelfish to dart into some hard scape. That ventral fin is used for making quick actions, stopping or turning, so it is possible the fish was spooked or chased out of a spot, the fish moved quickly and carelessly bumped into something that tore the fin. Can you post a picture of the entire tank so we can see the space? What size is the tank we’re talking about?

That's a nice tank and is that a big growth of Java Fern ? It's nice but I don't like those big Tetra's . Something about them seems like the Angel might not like them and vice versa. But , not seeing the interaction in person I could be wrong.

The congo don't bother her at all, very peaceful fish they're to busy chasing each other. Whatever is happening is during the night I don't know if she's getting bumped when I feed my elephant nose?

Generally speaking angelfish like to have plants at the ends of the tank, or a place they can retreat if they want to feel more secure, depending on what is happening inside or outside the tank. My angelfish likes to hide around a twiggy piece of a spiderwood tree and my neons generally hide in the vals and driftwood sheltered areas in the opposite corner. It is possible your angelfish is getting bumped by your other fish at night.

You have a beautiful tank and the congos look great. Very nice.

I would just keep an eye on things. You can take a daily picture of your angelfish so you have something for comparison as to whether the fins seem to be getting better or worse. The more you can observe them the easier it will be for you to determine what is happening. It doesn’t appear to be hard scape causing the problem. It might be happening when the angel is spooked and trying to move away quickly from whatever spooked it.

I'll add some tall plants for her at either end just for extra hide.
Thank you for your help

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back