Angel Rams Aka Balloon Rams

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SharonCC

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone experience breeding the Balloon Ram...sometimes referred to as the Angel ram. I've just purchased two, although I think I might have two females. I'm considering going back for a male, if I can find one. The supposed females are in a 10gal tank. Can I put the male with the two females without mishap. I think they are "harem breeders???"

Never havent seen any or knowing much about them, Im not going to be much help on this one, but I would assume that they are the same as normal rams in that they pair off, not hareem, therefore adding a single male could cause trouble if he decides to pair off with one of the females, the other will be killed, also I dont think 10g is large enough, 20g would be a good size for a pair.

Having said that thats only assuming they are like the normal rams.

Balloon rams are just normal blue rams which have been selectively bred to be shorter and more "balloon" shaped, just like any other ballon fish (balloon molly's etc) and therefore breeding them is exactly the same as normal rams, and there are plenty of threads on ram breeding if you have a quick look
HTH
Joe

Thanks Joe...I have been doing a lot of reading. I THINK I have two females, so I have to wait for the next shipment, to get the male. Then I have to figure out what to do with the extra female...

Even though Rams pair off when they breed, it doesn't mean that they stick with the same partner always. I actually have 3 females and 1 male in my tank and in the past three days he has spawned with 2 of the 3 females. I always thought the paired off for life, until I recently found this out. Hope this helps.

Oh, that does help. I don't think there's room for two males and two females. It's a 10gal. tank. Maybe I'll try the male with the two females, ans see how it goes, although in a 10gal. tank, there's probably going to be trouble. I can always remove her if needed...Thanks!

Most reactions

Back