Angel Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hellohefalump

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have an angel fish, who has what looks like white spot. But on closer inspection, it appears to be damage to the scales. Like, it looks a bit like the scales have got a bit damaged and then got a fungus on them. But the fungus isn't like 'normal' fungus, looking fluffy like cotton wool. It's very small and localised to each specific scale - hence looking a bit like white spot.

When I first got this fish I assumed that it was physical damage from thrashing about in it's bag, and it would clear up on it's own. But it seems to have spread a little bit, so now I'm not to sure it's physical damage.

It's definately not white spot. I've had this fish in my tank for weeks now and none of the other fish have caught it. It doesn't flick itself against things like it has an itch. I've also seen white spot before many times (I worked in my LFS) and this is not white spot.

None of the other fish are catching it, including the other angels.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of putting some melafix in. So unless anyone thinks of anything else it might be, I'll do that.

yes could just be an initial injury either from the journey to yours or whatever that hasn't quite healed up.

May seem a bit obvious but fish will heal much better if the water is spot on, have you checked your water params and can you let us know what they are. You may find it useful to step up your cleaning and maintenance routine to keep things spotless for a couple of weeks.

another factor which can inhibit a fish repairing is stress, just so that we can check that the tank is infact a suitable environment for the fish can you postd etails of the tank size, the tankmates and if possible a picture so we can see how many hiding places etc are available.

If you can eliminate these factors then yes I would try a dose of melafix and see what happens. :good:

I have put melafix in. Tip for people with big tanks: use pond melafix. Much cheaper, because goes a lot further.

My parameters:
ammonium - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - not sure, although I suspect high, around 40-50. I've lost the colour chart on my test kit
kh - 4
gh - not sure, somewhere between 6 and 10
pH - 6.5 or thereabouts

There are LOADS of hiding places. This is my tank although plants are a bit taller now:
DSCF0080.jpg

I'm afraid I don't have a pic of the fish in question, lights are out right now and I don't know where my camera is. I'll see if I can get one tommorow.

oh yes, and there IS a parrot cichlid in there, but he's the biggest wuss in the tank and doesn't bully anyone at all. He's a bit unusual for his species. I've had him years, and he's huge, but very very peaceful.

There's also a big angel fish, but I've never seen him bullying. There are four small angels, and it's one of these that I'm concerned about.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back