Angel Fish With Pop Eye And Nipped Fins!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kaylea22

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm somewhat new to tropical fish keeping although I've had all of my lot for 2 years.

It's an emergency now that he actually looks sick! I've tried researching and found he may have pop eye for the last 2 months..... He still has his eye and i don't see improvement by water changes and don't see it getting any worse. I'll attach a picture of both eyes, they both look abnormal now!

But also he has been picked on by some tetras and now his left side fin is less than half eaten off! I looked around for a tank divider and couldn't find one so I made my own. It's working and the past 3 days I have seen more improvement with emotion, he's not moping about as much. I've read his fins will grow back and it's only been 3 days in isolation. I'm hoping I can try save him, buy a separate tank new heater and filter ect.... And treat his pop eye or whatever you guys may think it is, I'm seriously concerned, he's been very special to me for the past 2 years. Any help muchly appreciated! image.jpgView attachment 75302image.jpg

Isolation away from the fish biting at him is the best thing you could do. If possible a complete separate tank would be advisable. popeye is usually caused by a bacterial infection, if one of the other fish have nipped too close bacteria could have gotten in. Unfortunately I do not know Austrailian medications, but if you can find a broad band antibacterial medication I would suggest using that to help him.

He is a very beautiful fish.

star4 said:
Isolation away from the fish biting at him is the best thing you could do. If possible a complete separate tank would be advisable. popeye is usually caused by a bacterial infection, if one of the other fish have nipped too close bacteria could have gotten in. Unfortunately I do not know Austrailian medications, but if you can find a broad band antibacterial medication I would suggest using that to help him.

He is a very beautiful fish.
Thanks for that info!

At my local city farmers I have a medication called blue planet multi cure and also another called pimafix which seems to be more of a infection sure if they have had a fight. I'm wondering which to use and if it is safe to treat him in the community tank with Eather of those products or do I reallllly have to buy more equipment to set up a hospital tank?

Pimafix is usually for fungus, you need antibacterial medication. I have not heard of blue planet multi cure, but googling it I found its for whitespot and other parasitic problems and fungus, which might not help.

If there are no signs of problems with the other fish and you can separate him to treat him it would be better, but treating the whole tank should not affect the other fish if you just have the tank divided.

I've found and bought melafix, I think it's too late, he is swimming around and around and upside down I don't think he can maintain a upright position anymore. He has refused to eat for 4 days now :( and won't let me help him by holding it down near his head.

Oh that does not sound good at all, usually when a fish cannot maintain its balance the bacterial infection has affected the brain. I have sucessfully treated fish like this before by keeping them in very shallow water, but with angels it is almost impossible. I think you are going to have to prepare yourself for loosing him, but give the melafix a try just in case. :(

Thanks for your help.
I'm afraid to inform you that I've had to put him down. It just wasn't fare on him. I've been to other fish shops and I can barely replace him.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back