Angel Fish Not Doing So Well..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

1uke

Reaction score
I have 1 dead angel fish and another not feeding and sitting in the bottom corner :( and not totally sure why but think it could be 1 of 2 things maybe.
The first thing I think it could be I havent cycled the tank properly?
Ok I will start from the beginning now:
Brought a second hand tank/filter (240litre tank and Tetratec Ex 700 filter) and new air pump, heater etc. I used Aquasafe to take the chlorine out the water and filled the tank up. The filter was full of water when I brought it so run it like that hoping it might help me cycle the tank. Straight away run the tetra 6 in 1 tests and all was perfect to my surprise.. I had ordered some Tetra SafeStart but was taking ages to arrive, so kept monitoring the tank for a week with the 6 in 1 tests and all was coming back perfect every time, I got impatient waiting for the SafeStart to arrive and added 4 angel fish. All has been fine now for a couple of weeks till today. The Tetra 6 in 1 tests are still saying everything is fine so I'm abit confused.
Today I went and brought some Tetra GeneralTonic to see if this helps (fingers crossed).
The Tetra SafeStart has just arrived also so was wondering If I should add some of that aswell? even though the water tests are all saying the nitrite etc are fine. I'm new to tropical fish so need some advice please on what to do

Just been reading lots of posts on fish dieing etc and think I might have worked out what the problem could be.. I was cleaning the outside of the tank with Mr Sheen polish and guessing I might have poisoned some of the fish?? If so what shall I do now?? I have already done around a 25% water change and filter rinse in old water and added Tetra GeneralTonic.

Also I would get yourself a good liquid based test kit to verify your tanks water quality because the test strips are next to useless, you may as well use them as firewood.

Andy

hi, i had a problem with angelfish lately too, i had a gorgeous viel tale angel, never seen one before i brought it, but anyways i brought the veil tail and a normal angel at the same time and a few weeks ago the viel tail died, so i went to the petshop where i got him/her from and the man there told me that if 2 angels are together for a certain period of time they tend to pair up so if 1 of the 2 die the other angel usually will stop eating and then eventually die due to loosing its companion, but since then i have brought another viel tail and another small angel and the living one from before is now
fine with the new residents of the tank. And is doing well now, :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back