Angel Fish Loss Of Partner

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

forever

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Very sad to find yesterday the female of my breeding pair had died, cannot see why had been feeding and looking fine, stomach looked a bit bloated but thats it.
They had stoped laying eggs about two months ago, but still seemed happy, my question is how do I go about getting another mate for the one left male..

Maybe she was egg bound. What size tank is it? It's not easy to find a female the right size that he will like. Cichlids can be picky about who they mate with. Try and find a breeder maybe he or she would have a good female for you.

If you have a large tank I say get him a bunch of new friends they like to be in groups.

Thx for the reply, my tank is 400l, he is fully grown, so finding a suitable mate will be hard..

That's like 100 gal. Is he the only angel now? If so I would look for adult angels that are in need of a new home and get 5 if you can since he lost his mate I think he would be happy to have a group of friends now.

Try and find a breeder near you would be your best bet I think. Or post an add that you are looking for adult angel fish see if anyone has some for you.

Get a group of younger angels and add with him....they dont need to be his size, they will grow. Adding a group of them will help spread any aggression he may have to new tank mates.

it is possible for him to find a mate this is best done in groups of 5 -6 fish af a simmilar size

Angels are not monogamous, find an adult female and add her to the tank, they will eventually pair up.

If you are not interested in actually breeding them though i would suggest, as i said above, adding a group of angels to the tank.

i have a 350litre tank and i have 10 angels in it (most added at different times and at varying sizes).

As Alasse mentioned, keep that solitary male with other females of almost same size and age. They'll definitely pair up. But before everything, check for parasitic infection in the male. He might be a carrier and may end up killing the weak fishes passively.

Also, after introducing new females, regular water changes will induce spawning.

Thanks, now the tricky job of finding some the same size..

IF I were you I would add a group of 5 or 6 young angels thats fun and easy. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back