Angel fish eggs... ???

CaT209

Reaction score
Looks like my angel fish turned out to be a make female pair after all...
Didn't notice this until today because their behavior was way more aggressive and they had been focused around the scented oil burner..

Thinking I should grab a tank divider to keep the other fish in the tank safe. Or Just let nature take it's course like I did with my swordtails that have overrun a 40 gallon..

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_173403666.jpg
    IMG_20210915_173403666.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 1,266
Angels spawn about every two weeks when they get going. When I kept them the fist spawn was over 500 eggs. Yikes! Baby angels really need live food initially. I weened them to cyclops gradually over a few days after about the first 10.

I gave up on angels and switched to small Hypancistrus plecos which only gave me 12-15 eggs at a time.

Angels spawn about every two weeks when they get going. When I kept them the fist spawn was over 500 eggs. Yikes! Baby angels really need live food initially. I weened them to cyclops gradually over a few days after about the first 10.

I gave up on angels and switched to small Hypancistrus plecos which only gave me 12-15 eggs at a time.
Looks like a couple hundred eggs doing a fast count.
Just surprised I managed to pick a male and female they look identical other than color markings which is how I selected them... Originally I bought one 6 months ago, after I got home I decided to go back and get the other one similar to it..

Just because there are eggs doesn't necessarily mean a male-female pair. Could well be two females. If the eggs hatch then you will know you have a male. More than likely they will eat the eggs to protect them from the other fish in the tank.

Just because there are eggs doesn't necessarily mean a male-female pair. Could well be two females. If the eggs hatch then you will know you have a male. More than likely they will eat the eggs to protect them from the other fish in the tank.
They were gone this morning..

A few things: first young angels might take 4 or 5 spawns to 'get it right' and they will keep getting better over time. How far they will go with regards to getting free swimming frys depends on a bit on other tank-mates. 2 females can spawn so you might not have a pair - watch them spawn and see if you actually have a male that is fertilizing the eggs. If you want the eggs to hatch it helps to leave the lights on in the room (not the tank lights); a small amount of light really helps the parents to keep an eye on things. Conversely if you want the eggs to hatch you can remove them and put them in a small container with an air stone. A few drops of m. blue doesn't hurt. After the eggs hatch you will get what is called 'wrigglers' frys that can't swim. About a week later you will get free swimming frys. Approx 24 hours after they are free swimming they will require food (I use baby brine shrimp). After 10 to 14 days they will take powder food and are on their way to transitioning to angel shape. This is what they look like in the early stage of things:

baby_angels.jpg

A few things: first young angels might take 4 or 5 spawns to 'get it right' and they will keep getting better over time. How far they will go with regards to getting free swimming frys depends on a bit on other tank-mates. 2 females can spawn so you might not have a pair - watch them spawn and see if you actually have a male that is fertilizing the eggs. If you want the eggs to hatch it helps to leave the lights on in the room (not the tank lights); a small amount of light really helps the parents to keep an eye on things. Conversely if you want the eggs to hatch you can remove them and put them in a small container with an air stone. A few drops of m. blue doesn't hurt. After the eggs hatch you will get what is called 'wrigglers' frys that can't swim. About a week later you will get free swimming frys. Approx 24 hours after they are free swimming they will require food (I use baby brine shrimp). After 10 to 14 days they will take powder food and are on their way to transitioning to angel shape. This is what they look like in the early stage of things:

View attachment 143508
Thanks for the information..
I'm not to focused on having angel fry going right now have too many swordtails to deal with currently.
The other fish in the tank will likely get them if the snails don't first.

View attachment 143508
This is the second time for spawning, they made it to the wigglers stage with no intervention. Even did a water change above them before realizing they were there... also noticed they are moving the wigglers from where the eggs are at to this location next to it which makes them more exposed to snails but it's their choice.
I also added in more silk plants and rearranged some decorations to provide more cover in the tank. Hopefully that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20211010_193149477.jpg
    IMG_20211010_193149477.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20211010_193147754.jpg
    IMG_20211010_193147754.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 36

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back