Angel Fish Breeding Behaviors

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PaintballFan07

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a future angelfish pair and I have a couple of questions. I know they are paired off, They do swim around the tank together and are very territorial and keep all other fish out of their side of the tank. My question is when their breeding tubes appear is this after or before they actually start mating and the female has eggs developing in her? They are in the community tank and I will probably keep them in there for now. Im asking this because both of them do not always swim around the tank together and i havent noticed them cleaning any but I havent really paid that much attention to them either.

Hey paintball, its been about a year since my angels bred last, but from what I remember the breeding tubes appeared a day or two before the spawn and then did not retract for another day. If they ever do breed and you plan to raise the fry, I would suggest giving the pair their own tank or removing the eggs about the time they become wigglers. Having angel spawns in a community tank will be very stressful on the other inhabitants, and the adults will have a difficult time guarding the young 100% of the time.
Be on the look out for the two cleaning flat surfaces for a spawn, that'll be your best way of guessing if a spawn will occur soon.

dustin

Sounds the same as what mine have just done.
The breeding tubes appeared a few days before.

dbollack said:
Hey paintball, its been about a year since my angels bred last, but from what I remember the breeding tubes appeared a day or two before the spawn and then did not retract for another day. If they ever do breed and you plan to raise the fry, I would suggest giving the pair their own tank or removing the eggs about the time they become wigglers. Having angel spawns in a community tank will be very stressful on the other inhabitants, and the adults will have a difficult time guarding the young 100% of the time.
Be on the look out for the two cleaning flat surfaces for a spawn, that'll be your best way of guessing if a spawn will occur soon.

dustin
Thanks for the reply. I added a pvc pipe so they will have something to lay their eggs on. I will most likely try to raise the fry and I will move the fry out to a 10g tank until i can either get another tank or buy a tank divider for the community tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back