Angel fish and fighting fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

No. I'm assuming by "fighting fish" you mean male bettas; these are not community fish, and the territorial nature of both the betta and the angel fish will not end well.

The 240 liter (60+ gallon) tank is not really suited to angelfish anyway, depending upon circumstances. A bonded/mated pair would work, but not a group which is their natural tendency.

Hi Gaviningram, well I don't dare to compete with the very knowledgeable fellows above, they mean it graciously for the fishes of course, but I mean they are too perfectionist and this could be possible to keep these fishes together in 240 l, I hope they wont tear my head off (you know it depends always a little). And welcome too.

Hi Gaviningram, well I don't dare to compete with the very knowledgeable fellows above, they mean it graciously for the fishes of course, but I mean they are too perfectionist and this could be possible to keep these fishes together in 240 l, I hope they wont tear my head off (you know it depends always a little). And welcome too.
I wouldn't tear your head off and, like I said, if you were into violence in your tank, then an angel could possibly survive with a Betta, if it was big enough. Whether or not the Betta would survive the Angel is another matter.

Also, (and this is not about being 'perfectionist, it's simply about very, VERY, basic fish welfare, of which you appear to be unaware of), the tank isn't big enough for Angels.

If you had a guaranteed bonded pair, then they might be okay in such a relatively small tank, (NOTE that I said 'bonded' pair and not just two Angel fish of different genders). That said, Angels usually need a shoal with which to thrive, as opposed to just survive.

Gaviningram was asking a beginners question, in my eyes it would be possible to keep these fish together in this size if you have one of each in a well stuctured tank with many plants and hides so that they can keep out of the way, if there are some more fishes of different species in the tank like it is probably to be spected they will be diverted enogh, you should grant beginners to be beginners, that's not producing suffering, and moreover 240 L is a respectable size, I have already heard of much more awfull stories about fish keeping, but basically I'd say you Bruce and Byron are totally right;)

And in case an evil happens in the end it should be considered to give some fish away where they are safe (specially speaking of the betta with its long fins), I would like to recommend Gaviningram to think up another theorie about fish keeping too, this perhaps couldn't be good also for a beginner🙃

Gaviningram was asking a beginners question, in my eyes it would be possible to keep these fish together in this size if you have one of each in a well stuctured tank with many plants and hides so that they can keep out of the way, if there are some more fishes of different species in the tank like it is probably to be spected they will be diverted enogh, you should grant beginners to be beginners, that's not producing suffering, and moreover 240 L is a respectable size, I have already heard of much more awfull stories about fish keeping, but basically I'd say you Bruce and Byron are totally right;)

And in case an evil happens in the end it should be considered to give some fish away where they are safe (specially speaking of the betta with its long fins), I would like to recommend Gaviningram to think up another theorie about fish keeping too, this perhaps couldn't be good also for a beginner🙃
Exactly, A BEGINNER. What you're proposing is something that not even I would attempt with almost 20 years experience. Putting 2 such animals in a glass box together is asking for trouble and downright cruel....in my opinion.

We got there in the end is about as polite as I can be here.

First of all a 60 gallon (240L) tank is plenty big enough for 4 or 5 Angelfish if not crowded with too many other fish. Second a Betta should be fine in with the Angels. I have had Bettas in Angel tanks and they pretty much just ignore each other and go their separate ways.

I would not try it, having absolutely 0 experience with angels, but theoretically, had the tank a large amount of plants, a reasonable group of angels with reasonable personalities, and a reasonable betta with its own little nook with rocks and a ton of plants, and were there to be some other tetras or rasboras as dither fish, you might, and I say MIGHT, be able to pull it off, but I would highly recommend against it, and I think the other members would agree with me to. The only way to pull this off would be to find fish with the right personalities, and that is quite hard to do. Essentially, it is theoretically possible but it is a horrible idea to do so, and if you tried and posted it here the amount of flak you would get is endless. Please don't do this.

For clarification I'm not saying that OP should do this, but just clarifying that it is in fact theoretically possible to do so, were the conditions right.

EDIT: please don't do it.

EDIT 2: this opinion is coming from me watching angelfish videos, reading angelfish posts, and just coming from an angle where angelfish are slightly aggressive fish, but won't actively hunt down a betta(one hopes)

I would definitely advise against mixing Angel fish and the Siamese Fighting fish. If you're set on angels a standard 240l tank is large enough for a bonded pair in my opinion provided at least 500mm in depth, a bonded pair is not something you can typically buy off the rack so to speak, usual advice would be to buy 6-8 juveniles and wait for a pair to form naturally and then remove the others. That is if it is something you'd be comfortable with.

The above only applies of course if you're water parameters are matched to angel fish.

ClownLurch said: We got there in the end is about as polite as I can be here.
Dear ClownLurch, can you get this sentence exactly translated into French (I'm la grenouille)?

As an old chinese saying explains, "only dead fish swimm with the current", that's wise enough and I don't want to be dead fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back