Angel fish acting weird

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PandaaXxFunk

Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new to the fish world and I have a quick question.
I recently got a Zebra angelfish , I have it in a 30 gallon tank with 5 rummy noses and 4 corys. Every single fish in the tank is thriving and very active except for my angel. Hes my centerpiece in the tank and it sucks to see him so inactive. I know Angel's arent the most active of fish but this one seems a bit off. When my tank light is on he hangs around the top of the tank in a corner and doesnt move, when my tank light is off he starts to become a little more active but barely by much. I want to think its because hes only been in the tank 1 day and hes getting acclimated but like I said, the rest of the fish are thriving. I checked my parameters and nitrates are 0, ph is 7.5 and ammonia is 0.25 ppm. Water is 80 degrees. Could it be the ammonia ? I already did a 25% water change so hopefully it helps. Hes so inactive when the lights are on the rummys start to nip him. What could be going on ?

Let's hope it is just the fish settling into a new environment. What it has gone through from being chased around the store tank, netted, bagged, transported, released into a totally new environment--this is greater stress than any of us can imagine.

Tank lighting can significantly impact fish, even at the best of times. Be careful not to turn it on and off frequently because it takes a fish close to 30 minutes to adjust every time. Have the light on a timer so it is on and off at the same time every 24-hour period. I mention this because you have indicated a differing reaction to the light, and I've no way of knowing what this might refer to.

The other thing to recognize is that angelfish are a shoaling species; they live in smallish groups and they have an inherent expectation for a shoal, which of course means security. Alone it is helpless and defenseless, so it needs even more "quiet time." How this impacts its future life is difficult to say.

I agree with the above.
In all honesty that isn't too uncommon. How big is it. In timeit should start bo beg for food every time is sees somebody. lol
The other thing to recognize is that angelfish are a shoaling species; they live in smallish groups and they have an inherent expectation for a shoal, which of course means security. Alone it is helpless and defenseless, so it needs even more "quiet time." How this impacts its future life is difficult to say.
Agreed but mine is/was just fine alone (he does have a fried now). Angels can do just fine along. While they do best in groups yours will be just fine.

How tall is the tank?

I had three angel fish in the past in a 60 gallon tank with several species of tetras, and they took quite a while to "get comfortable" when they were added to the tank. I think Angels are a group of species of fish that are very sensitive to change, and take a little while to "settle in" as compared to other species. Hopefully that is all that it is... I am sure that the rummy nose schooling actively back and forth are probably a little bit overwhelming to the Angel right now and it just needs time to adjust... Again, hopefully that is all that it is.

I agree with the above.
In all honesty that isn't too uncommon. How big is it. In timeit should start bo beg for food every time is sees somebody. lol

Agreed but mine is/was just fine alone (he does have a fried now). Angels can do just fine along. While they do best in groups yours will be just fine.

How tall is the tank?
The tank is 18" tall, 30" wide.
As much as I would love to get a 2nd angel for this little fella I dont want to cramp them in a tank.

Let's hope it is just the fish settling into a new environment. What it has gone through from being chased around the store tank, netted, bagged, transported, released into a totally new environment--this is greater stress than any of us can imagine.

Tank lighting can significantly impact fish, even at the best of times. Be careful not to turn it on and off frequently because it takes a fish close to 30 minutes to adjust every time. Have the light on a timer so it is on and off at the same time every 24-hour period. I mention this because you have indicated a differing reaction to the light, and I've no way of knowing what this might refer to.

The appetite is definitely there, it randomly goes down to the bottom to munch on the leftovers of the shrimp wafer the catfish left.
He seems really shy, I think hes just adjusting at this point. Theres been more activity the past hour.

This is what the tank currently looks like, the angel is still a little guy. Lots of room but definitely dont want to overstock
15914902091613411669879208317625.jpg
1591490319460567081059334017810.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a mated pair of angelfish which grew to 6 inch and 5 inch (body) in a 55 gallon tank. They stuck together and seldom would I see them swimming alone. I agree with others about the fish being new to the tank but he also needs others of his own kind to shoal with and your tank is too small for that and he will grow. I would rethink about having him and return him to the pet store. Either way good luck with him.

If you store will take him back, get more rummy nose. A bunch of those grown and lit up and you won't need a statement fish!
;)

The tank is 18" tall, 30" wide.
As much as I would love to get a 2nd angel for this little fella I dont want to cramp them in a tank.

Agree. But as you have mentioned about acquiring a second fish even though not here, I will just respond so you will know for the future.

Angelfish must select their mates. Any male and any female willnot necessarily work out, unless you arelucky and they do bond. But it is best if they select each other from a group. That bonded pair are more likely to live together peacefully, and obviously spawn.

This fish should, if healthy, attain six inches body length with a vertical fin span of eight inches. That is a fair size. Another member suggested returning the angelfish, and that is certainly one viable option. We cannot possibly know how the fish feels being on its own, contrary to what is programmed into its DNA.

Most reactions

trending

Back