angel/blue ram

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MXPX4318

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I went to my parents LFS today (as I'm home for the holidays) and saw a VERY ODD looking ram, looked like what I would call a ballon ram (just like a ballon molly but a ram same short stubby aperance) so I asked the guy what it was and he informed me it was an Angel fish crossed with a German Blue ram, I found this very odd as it was really small and "ballony" so could it be? could this have been an angel/ blue ram cross? I wish I could have bought him but the fish was on display only and it was the only one.

While it may be possible (cichlids are very good at cross genus hybridisation) I doubt it, Angles and rams behave rather differently and even hang out in different parts of the water column, Maybe if they were engaged in milting but I suspect the case is that of an abnormal Ram; However I'm not familliar with the phylogeny of these fish or any reports of hybrids so I can lay down a final ruleing.

There are such things as baloon rams, :nod:

its like the way they get veil tail oscars, sorta, a mutation if you can call it that.

but i highly doubt it would be cross bred with a angel.

DD

The LFS person sounds like a Bull'ehem'er.

Rams and Angles are not like Lions and Tigers, they are further removed.

While cichlids can be hybridised it is between closley related species, you cant have any cichlid bonking another and getting offspring. :rofl:

Actually, just found out this is true. While looking through Segrest Farms catalouge, they have one for sale--CICHLID RAM - ANGEL HYBRID REG sci. name
MICROGEOPHAGUS PTEROPHYLLUM..

Hmm...still not sure that is proof in itself. That naming are both genus names for the two different species. When you name a species you use its genus then species name.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back