Angel Being Attacked, Suggestions?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

scooterchick

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok, tank first.

38gal tank, 18 inches high, inhabitants - 1 large adult angel, 5 juvenile angels, 3 golden barbs and 2 diamond tetras.

History - Tank was a community tank but I've decided I'd like to keep angels only in it but wanted to let the barbs and tetras live out their lives there. So I started with 1 baby angel who's now a juvenile, then I rescued the big one who was being kept in a 10 gallon tank and was miserable, he had terrible finrot and a squint face, the finrot is cured but sadly I think he'll always be squint (like free willy's fin if you know what I mean). Anyway, when I got the big one, the wee one went into hiding so I got anotehr 4 smaller ones to even things up. It worked and everything was going swimmingly. However now, the barbs have taken to chasing the big angel round the tank, nipping his fins and he's hiding in a corner, they completely ignore the smaller angels and just go for the big one even though he's about 4 times their size! I've never seen the barbs being aggresive with any other fish.

SO my options seem to be - remove the big angel, I feel bad because I rescued him or remove the barbs - I feel bad about that too because I've had them from babies, in fact they're my longest living fish, they've never been my favourites but def the hardiest! Or my husband suggested adding another large angel, I guess he's thinking strength in numbers..........

I've read that increasing the number of barbs may make them less nippy? 6+ I think. If you have enough room, maybe that's a route to try.

Thanks, I thought about that too but as I'm trying to make it an angel only tank I'd discounted it. However I don't really want to get rid of any them, so I may just have to do it!

Thanks, I thought about that too but as I'm trying to make it an angel only tank I'd discounted it. However I don't really want to get rid of any them, so I may just have to do it!

yeah with more barbs in their group aggression is evened out amongst their own kind and not the other tankmates, alot like tiger barbs, the more the merrier, in which case if your tank is over crowded and the barbs need more room that would also be a reason for them being aggresive but im sure you wouldnt cram them all ina tiny tank as you said u rescued this bigger angel from one

Most reactions

Back