Angel And Rainbow

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jamepsss

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've come home from work today to find two of my beloved fish with worrying looking symptoms.

Firstly, my Angelfish...

The two growths(?) on the side of the head were not there yesterday. There's also a smaller one on the other side. No loss of appetite.

And one of my Incicus...

I noticed a very slight fuzz at his mouth yesterday but thought nothing of it. Today it's looking worse and his eyes are cloudy and his fins are looking pretty bad. He's not interested in food. Fin rot/popeye/mouth fungus??

I've just done a 50% water change, purely because I didn't know what else to do. It's the first non-ich symptoms I've ever had to deal with. Tank is a 50 gallon, Fluval 305 external filter. Seeded cycle performed in January this year. Water change schedule is 30-50% weekly treated with Prime. Heavily planted, no C02. Temp is constant 25 degrees. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 20. I have no hospital or quarantine tank.

The only meds I have in the flat came with the tank when I bought it second-hand and they are all Interpet. Anti-White Spot, Anti Internal Bacteria, General Tonic. Any help and advice here would be massively appreciated. I really don't want to lose these fish.

I would treat as bacterial.
As it sounds bacterial with the columnaris, popeye.
The growths do they look like raised pimples. As it hard to tell in the pics.
Are the growth filled with fluid or hard looking.
Any redness or pinkness to the growths.
Did the growth suddenly appear.

Add the anti internal bacteria med by interpet. But make sure the meds not out of date.

I would treat as bacterial.
As it sounds bacterial with the columnaris, popeye.
The growths do they look like raised pimples. As it hard to tell in the pics.
Are the growth filled with fluid or hard looking.
Any redness or pinkness to the growths.
Did the growth suddenly appear.

Add the anti internal bacteria med by interpet. But make sure the meds not out of date.

Thanks Wilder, The med's still in date until 2012 so have just added the first treatment.

The growths look hard and plain white. No redness although I think there's some pink around the growth on the other side. They appeared suddenly, definately weren't there yesterday.

It says to treat again in 4 days. Should I avoid water changes until treatment complete?

Rainbows are vunerable to mouth growths, which regular large water changes (I've read figures in the 50% per week ballpark, not necessarily in one hit) will help prevent. I'd say do a 25% water change, but then compensate for the 25% of the meds you have added to their tank to date to treat this outbreak.
good.gif

Lumps that suddenly appear are usually bacterial.
Also pink area on the growth can be bacterial.

Keep the thread updated if you don't mind.
Good Luck.

Rainbows are vunerable to mouth growths, which regular large water changes (I've read figures in the 50% per week ballpark, not necessarily in one hit) will help prevent. I'd say do a 25% water change, but then compensate for the 25% of the meds you have added to their tank to date to treat this outbreak.
good.gif

Thanks for the input. I've become quite obsessed with rainbows over the past few months. I may do another 25% on Sunday depending on how things are looking.

Lumps that suddenly appear are usually bacterial.
Also pink area on the growth can be bacterial.

Keep the thread updated if you don't mind.
Good Luck.

Thanks again Wilder. Good news - The Angel's symptoms have improved quite considerably over the past 24 hours. It's hard to believe but I can barely see the growths anymore.

There's been no change in the rainbow, keeping my fingers crossed for him.

The rainbow passed a few minutes ago. He deteriorated really quickly over the past hour, swimming near the surface and eventually struggling to stay upright. He had no strength left and was upside down when I decided to remove him and put him to sleep in a jug of tank water and clove oil.

I'm absolutely gutted tonight.

It can look like there on the mend only to go downhill again.

Sorry for your loss.
R.I.P.

If anymore problems get back to the board.
Good Luck.

Thanks for the update.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back