Anemone Help Please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishfan76

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 90L Marine setup. I have had an Anemone in this tank for several months. When I bought it I was told it was an Atlantic Anemone and would do fine in my setup. The tank is a Fluval ROMA 90 so only has T8 lighting (Power and Marine glo bulbs). Filtration is a Fluval 205 External. There is one power-head and one nano pump to provide circulation.

All has been well for months but now it seems to be moving around a lot and has shrunk in size. There has been a couple of incidents where the wandering Anemone has got in to trouble, first with the intake tube of the external filter and second most recent the underside of a power-head. Both times it seems to recover after a few days.

It has now gone to a part of the tank its never been before between live rocks and looks a bit small and unhappy. It has a white body and tentacles (sometimes changes to a dull white/cream colour) with blue/purple tips. I have some pictures below:

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b422/Darren7610/Anenome2.jpg

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b422/Darren7610/Anenome1.jpg

My questions are: 1) Is this in fact an Atlantic Anemone? If not which type is it? 2) Does it look OK as I'm worried? 3) Should I be feeding it anything?

Please help. It is a lovely animal in my tank and I would like to keep it healthy. My current water readings are:

Temp 26c
SG 1.025/1.026 (x 2 Hydrometers)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.1 (I know this is an issue, just done a 10% WC)
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0
Calcium 480
Copper 0
pH is a little low at around 8.0 (I have issues keeping it at 8.3 for some reason.

Stocking is 2 x Common Clownfish, 1 Firefish, 1 Jade Wrasse, 1 Sunrise Dottyback, 4 hermit crabs, 4 mixed snails, 1 brown knobbled starfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp. Button polyps and mushrooms. Mushrooms and Polyps both doing well and growing well.

Any help or general suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Fishfan76

Hold on.. Let me get my laptop. This is going to be a long reply!

Hi
I have a 90L Marine setup. I have had an Anemone in this tank for several months. When I bought it I was told it was an Atlantic Anemone and would do fine in my setup. The tank is a Fluval ROMA 90 so only has T8 lighting (Power and Marine glo bulbs). Filtration is a Fluval 205 External. There is one power-head and one nano pump to provide circulation.

All has been well for months but now it seems to be moving around a lot and has shrunk in size. There has been a couple of incidents where the wandering Anemone has got in to trouble, first with the intake tube of the external filter and second most recent the underside of a power-head. Both times it seems to recover after a few days.

It has now gone to a part of the tank its never been before between live rocks and looks a bit small and unhappy. It has a white body and tentacles (sometimes changes to a dull white/cream colour) with blue/purple tips. I have some pictures below:

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b422/Darren7610/Anenome2.jpg

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b422/Darren7610/Anenome1.jpg

My questions are: 1) Is this in fact an Atlantic Anemone? If not which type is it? 2) Does it look OK as I'm worried? 3) Should I be feeding it anything?

Please help. It is a lovely animal in my tank and I would like to keep it healthy. My current water readings are:

Temp 26c
SG 1.025/1.026 (x 2 Hydrometers)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.1 (I know this is an issue, just done a 10% WC)
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0
Calcium 480
Copper 0
pH is a little low at around 8.0 (I have issues keeping it at 8.3 for some reason.

Stocking is 2 x Common Clownfish, 1 Firefish, 1 Jade Wrasse, 1 Sunrise Dottyback, 4 hermit crabs, 4 mixed snails, 1 brown knobbled starfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp. Button polyps and mushrooms. Mushrooms and Polyps both doing well and growing well.

Any help or general suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Fishfan76

Ok that definately doesn't look like an atlantic anemone - i'd say that was a malu anemone. Either way your lightening is no where near strong enough to keep any anemone on the market. You possibly could keep a mini maxi anemone - but i have not done any research on them so you'd have to ask to someone else whether you could.

First a few questions:

How long had your tank been running before adding the anemone?

How long exactly has it been in your tank?

Has it attached onto new things or is just drifting around unattached?

If you touch its tentacles, are they sticky?

So, unfortunately you have been mis-sold an anemone, been given bad information, and done your best (i'm sure) to save it. Not your fault but please remember next time, ask a neutral source for info before you buy AND alway always always research thoroughly.

A bit about Malu anemones. They are normally thousands of years old. They require a massive amound of light. You should have metal halides to keep them healthy. You can dip to a large sum of T5's but this should not be attempted by any one who is mew to the anemone or has not kept anemones before.

The malu is one of the hardest anemone's to keep in a home aquarium but often unfairly sold as perc clown hosts. The malu should not be purchased by inexperienced reefers.

Most anemones including the malu req an estblished tank of 12 months or more. Water params should be perfect for 3 months prior to adding it, and not have any further stocking at the time its supposed to be added.

So, your issue. You have not got the correct lighting, have not fed the anemone so far, and it is wandering and possibly injured.

If your anemone has been injured in the intakes then it may have internal injuries and be doomed. You need to fix your lighting to METAL HALIDES, or give your anemone to your LFS or another reefer, otherwise it will die.
In the meantime, you need to feed your anemone small pieces of prawn or mussells to help strengthen him. You need to handle it as minimal as possible.

Hope that helps, sorry to deliver the bad news but to make one thing clear. In your current conditions - it WILL die unless you improve your lightening.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back