And I Think I Messed Up...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xxEMOxLIZZARDxx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I may have let my impulse control free at a Petco and bought two pale blue shiny gouramies for my tank. But now I'm thinking this might be a mistake. I have a thirty gallon tank with mollies, platies, and cory cats in it. I do have a fifteen gallon tank I can move them to if I messed up, but I'm hoping I didn't.
They were just SOOOO pretty. So blue. So shiny. Not even the exact ones I had wanted (they had ones with bright orange and blue shiny stripes that were my first want but the fish guy got the wrong ones).

Dwarf gouramis? No idea what you mean by "pale blue shiny".....post pics

Impulse buys of fish (especially at Petco) is never recommended

20230120_204654[1].jpg

Also PetCo is really the only place I can buy fish. There aren't any local stores around me. Trust me, I'd like to buy local, but unless I want to travel over an hour, it's not feasible.

Also PetCo is really the only place I can buy fish. There aren't any local stores around me. Trust me, I'd like to buy local, but unless I want to travel over an hour, it's not feasible.
That is unfortunate; there are many reputable online shops in the US for ordering fish, and having them shipped

That is unfortunate; there are many reputable online shops in the US for ordering fish, and having them shipped
I've toyed with ordering online. But hubby and I also work full time and are gone from 9am to about 6:35pm everyday and I wouldn't want to leave fish outside for that long. I feel like I'm risking it with the thirty five minute commute from the PetCo to my house with fish sometimes.
Also, just nervous I won't get exactly the fish I want. I like looking before I buy.

I've toyed with ordering online. But hubby and I also work full time and are gone from 9am to about 6:35pm everyday and I wouldn't want to leave fish outside for that long. I feel like I'm risking it with the thirty five minute commute from the PetCo to my house with fish sometimes.
Also, just nervous I won't get exactly the fish I want. I like looking before I buy.
Understood. Fish shipped from reputable dealers would be fine in the box until you got home, however, provided that the outside temps aren't extreme.

Shipping fish (with guaranteed live delivery) can be pricey, though

Understood. Fish shipped from reputable dealers would be fine in the box until you got home, however, provided that the outside temps aren't extreme.

Shipping fish (with guaranteed live delivery) can be pricey, though
Currently it's winter in New England. So snowy and cold. The price is also a slight issue. I do have other animals and bills to pay.

Currently it's winter in New England. So snowy and cold. The price is also a slight issue. I do have other animals and bills to pay.
Yes, wintertime isn't the best time to order fish, in colder parts of the country

Hopefully, the DGs will work out for you...I wish you good luck with them

Yes, wintertime isn't the best time to order fish, in colder parts of the country

Hopefully, the DGs will work out for you...I wish you good luck with them
Yea, I'm thinking I messed up buying them, but sometimes my impulse control sucks. Especially with shimmering, shiny fish.
Bad thing about is now I want the two I originally saw at the store. They were even prettier!

"Powder blue" or "neon" dwarf gourami...not the best community fish...and highly susceptible to carrying Dwarf gourami iridovirus (DGIV), a deadly disease with no cure

See "Behavior & Compatibility" and "Notes" here: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichogaster-lalius
So uh, I just saw this post. So pretty much I screwed up. *note to self, do not go into PetCo alone after they've gotten fish*
So it kind of sounds like what happened with Neon Tetra's and becoming so inbred/weak that they kind of just always died (I swear I heard somewhere that's why they kept dying on me when I was younger).
Here is hoping my fish make it. Although I came home to one of the two dead already. Will be doing a water change tomorrow as I'm off all day.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back