Ancistrus catfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dan20rhino

Reaction score
Hi has anyone on here got any experience when it comes to breeding Ancistrus catfish?
At what age and size do they mature?
I currently have five of these 2 males and 3 females all are about 2inches in length. :)

ancistrus's should breed frequently and readily. Some of the other members can give you more help. I am also moving this to the "catfish section" please post there ;)

:blush: Hey Duncan, that guy isn't shy with his prices! I used to give away micro/grindal/white worm cultures or get a quid for them at an auction! ;) Mac.

These are VERY easy fish to bred from what i understand :)

They will need the assistance of one vital piece of apparatus though :what: ................................a glass milk bottle!! :what: ................YES a glass milk bottle lol :p

First clean your milk bottle and if possible steralize it as well.......then simply sink it to the bottom of your tank ensuring that no air remains inside it..........lay it on its side in a quiet corner of the tank and wait for the Ancistrus to take up residence :D ..........hopefully in a week or two you should have some babies :D :D

It is worth me adding however that i have not personally bred these fish but i have a lot of friends in my lfc (local fish club) that have and this is the method that they all used to great effect :D

You will also have no problems shifting the young as in one of my clubs auctions recently bags of 1 or 2 baby Ancistrus were fetching £10 - £15 :0 all of these fish were about an inch long so they were still babies really lol

I have now aquired some and will be trying to bred them myself soon too :D

But i think that the milk bottle says it all really

K.I.S.S........

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hey thanks for the advice ill try the milk bottle technique cheers, ill let you know if i have any luck. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back