Anaerobic pocket?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Elena82x

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is this an anaerobic pocket? It is a new tank going through a (hopefully) mini cycle, the sand has only been down 10 days though I think one possibility is that an algae wafer has sunk here.. I've done huge water changes but haven't cleaned the sand yet as I want some bacteria to build up as the only bacteria source is an old filter added in as a second filter.
If it is an anaerobic pocket do I just remove it in as quick a movement as possible to prevent toxins releasing into the water?
Thank you
1664112562154.jpeg

Is this an anaerobic pocket? It is a new tank going through a (hopefully) mini cycle, the sand has only been down 10 days though I think one possibility is that an algae wafer has sunk here.. I've done huge water changes but haven't cleaned the sand yet as I want some bacteria to build up as the only bacteria source is an old filter added in as a second filter.
If it is an anaerobic pocket do I just remove it in as quick a movement as possible to prevent toxins releasing into the water?
Thank you View attachment 167509
It may be some decomposing organic matter but it's too close to the surface really to be anaerobic. I think you could stir it without any negative results or you could just leave it.

As close as that is to the surface, I don't believe that could be the case. You usually only see that in quite deep substrate. What you probably have is just some regular algae or a disintegrating algae wafer as you suggested.

I saw this only a couple times, and dug the water changer into it. Make sure you get most of the discoloured out, even if it means losing a tiny bit of the sand. I agree it is not likely trouble, just unsightly.

It may be some decomposing organic matter but it's too close to the surface really to be anaerobic. I think you could stir it without any negative results or you could just leave it.
Thank you

I saw this only a couple times, and dug the water changer into it. Make sure you get most of the discoloured out, even if it means losing a tiny bit of the sand. I agree it is not likely trouble, just unsightly.
Thank you

As close as that is to the surface, I don't believe that could be the case. You usually only see that in quite deep substrate. What you probably have is just some regular algae or a disintegrating algae wafer as you suggested.
Thank you

I have sand and all my tanks except for the 110 gallon stock tank. I never touch the sand although in many tanks I have Malaysian trumpet snails. Sand is great because fish waste and uneven food just doesn't get down under. And unlike what some believe I believe you should never stir the sand. There will be levels of biology relative to the oxygen in the sand. It's best to leave it untouched. In this case because it's unsightly in the front glass, you might want to get rid of it. But that's a choice every fish keeper has to make on his own or her own.

Most reactions

trending

Back